BREAKING NEWS - Malaysian airliner crashes on Russian-Ukrainian border

Started by Tamas, July 17, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2014, 04:33:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2014, 04:25:41 PM
Quote from: Liep on July 17, 2014, 04:09:02 PM
Putin claims that it's Ukraine's fault simply because it was over Ukrainian airspace. Nice logic.

Well, Ukraine did fail to shoot down the missile and protect the aircraft.  He's got a point there.

Your boy Johnny Hero's already bitching about Obama not doing the right thing in failing to arm the Ukrainians.  Send 'em Patriot missile batteries, not sanctions, dammit!

OBAMA LIED DUTCHMEN DIED

Your boy Harry Reid is probably blaming it on the Tea Party.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2014, 05:10:08 PM
What exactly do you want him to say? :huh:

I don't really care what he says but article seems fairly clear.

I would say it was unfortunate wording to say "it looks like it may be a terrible tragedy."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

So what's the current state of knowledge about what civilian airliners were doing flying over this region/war zone?

I've seen that there were two existing advisory notices posted to airlines about what they should do about the airspace/region. To the layman the wording is opaque and has plenty of wriggle room.

Was it just left to airlines to 'balance' passenger safety vs 'shareholder value' re fuel/turnaround cost ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 17, 2014, 05:59:36 PM

"I resign"
Anything else will never be acceptable.

I don't know. Do you think he's hoping for President Joe?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2014, 05:00:45 PM

Your boy Harry Reid is probably blaming it on the Tea Party.

Pfft, weak, derfetus.

It would be the Koch brothers.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 05:19:13 PM

I would say it was unfortunate wording to say "it looks like it may be a terrible tragedy."

That doesn't seem to be particular unfortunate.  Particularity when very little is known.  Perhaps Darrel Issa can investigate and find something for to justify the anger that will come when Talk Radio claims Obama botched the situation, or possibly acted out of malice to kill Americans who may or may not been on the plane.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2014, 05:37:26 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2014, 05:02:27 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2696366/It-looks-like-terrible-tragedy-Obama-briefly-addresses-Malaysian-plane-crash-emerges-23-U-S-passengers-board.html
:lmfao:  Seriously? You link to, of all places, the Daily Fail?  The British newspaper that is so stupid that even the other British newspapers notice?

Impression of Spicy's intelligence: -4

So what am I up to in your book?  -144? :D

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 17, 2014, 05:59:36 PM

"I resign"
Anything else will never be acceptable.

I was 95% trolling.  His remarks did come across as awkward though, and he's known to struggle with ad-libbing sometimes.  I wasn't gonna post anything until Seedy posted about McCain.  Sadly, he avoided the bait :(

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2014, 06:43:05 PM
I wasn't gonna post anything until Seedy posted about McCain.  Sadly, he avoided the bait :(

What bait, I heard Johnny Saigon on the radio.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2014, 06:28:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 05:19:13 PM

That doesn't seem to be particular unfortunate.  Particularity when very little is known.  Perhaps Darrel Issa can investigate and find something for to justify the anger that will come when Talk Radio claims Obama botched the situation, or possibly acted out of malice to kill Americans who may or may not been on the plane.

I think it unequivocally is a terrible tragedy. When 200 or so folks are killed on a commercial airliner it is a tragedy - unless it turns out that it was 200 or so terrorists.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2014, 06:48:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 17, 2014, 06:43:05 PM
I wasn't gonna post anything until Seedy posted about McCain.  Sadly, he avoided the bait :(

What bait, I heard Johnny Saigon on the radio.

The Daily Fail bait.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 06:54:53 PM
I think it unequivocally is a terrible tragedy. When 200 or so folks are killed on a commercial airliner it is a tragedy - unless it turns out that it was 200 or so terrorists.

Or Hobby Lobby owners :angry: