BREAKING NEWS - Malaysian airliner crashes on Russian-Ukrainian border

Started by Tamas, July 17, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2014, 03:56:18 PM
I thought the US did pretty much immediately acknowledge it had shot down a civilian plane.  What am I missing, Raz?

:secret:  Its Raz and his whole creepy stalker routine.  Just move on.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on July 18, 2014, 04:28:09 PM
I thought the US did pretty much immediately acknowledge it had shot down a civilian plane.  What am I missing, Raz?

:secret:  Its Raz and his whole creepy stalker routine.  Just move on.

Would this be a case of you playing the man, rather than the ball?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 18, 2014, 04:04:12 PM

It took 8 years to compensate the victims, I don't think there ever was an admission of wrong doing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2014/07/17/when-airliners-get-shot-down-facts-get-skewed-quickly/

QuoteOne obvious example involves the United States. On July 3, 1988, a helicopter from the USS Vincennes, a guided missile cruiser, came under fire from Iranian gunboats while over the Persian Gulf. Seeing an aircraft speeding their way, the ship's crew opened fire with two surface-to-air missiles — and brought down a commercial jet, Iran Air Flight 655, carrying 290 people. Navy officials said the Vincennes crew thought it was an Iranian fighter jet, and a threat to their safety.

As outlined in The Washington Post the next day, the Pentagon at first denied Iranian accusations that the Navy had shot down an airliner. Within hours, however, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs at the time, Adm. William J. Crowe Jr., said the United States had confirmed the incident.

Even then, Crowe moved quickly to to back the skipper of the ship, Capt. William C. Rogers III.  He said the Airbus had flown four miles west of the usual commercial airline route, that the pilot ignored repeated radio warnings from the Vincennes to change course, and that its altitude was decreasing as it got closer. U.S. officials also said repeatedly the ship was in international waters, which would put the Iranians in the wrong for opening fire on the ship in the first place.

Few of those details turned out to be true. The Vincennes and helicopter were actually in Iranian waters and airspace, subsequent investigations found. ABC News, among others, later reported that the plane actually was flying where it should have been and had already turned away from the Vincennes when it was shot down. U.S. officials also said the helicopter that came under fire was checking on a vessel that had issued a distress call, but later investigations show the ship did not exist.

I'm just going by what he said.  The US did immediately acknowledge what it did.  Read into it whatever you choose, but he was factually correct.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on July 18, 2014, 04:31:36 PM
:huh:  No, just an observation.  There is no "ball" of which I am aware.  I made a factually correct statement and drew a reasonable conclusion based on the evidence, and Raz attempted to argue that my age was somehow related to an airliner shootdown in 1988 and that i was creating an interpretation of events.  Why don't you ask him your question?  Double standards much?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2014, 04:44:06 PM

I'm just going by what he said.  The US did immediately acknowledge what it did.  Read into it whatever you choose, but he was factually correct.

I think in part that would be because the US is an organized government with a chain of command; these rebels less resemble that, than a bunch of nationalist idiots.

crazy canuck

Just a note about proper defence.  You should always play the man not the ball.   :P  :D

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 18, 2014, 05:49:16 PM

Just a note about proper defence.  You should always play the man not the ball.   :P  :D

Play with men or play with balls? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2014, 05:50:17 PM

Whatever feels natural.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 18, 2014, 05:51:35 PM

Whatever feels natural.

Both? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Why do you limit yourself, you are not particularly concerned about defence.

mongers

:cool:

Yes, I need to get with it and adopt those tactics; it's as if I haven't learnt anything from Languish.  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 18, 2014, 05:53:08 PM

:cool:

Yes, I need to get with it and adopt those tactics; it's as if I haven't learnt anything from Languish.  :P

:D

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 18, 2014, 05:52:48 PM

Why do you limit yourself, you are not particularly concerned about defence.

Are you joking? Defense is pretty important.

Razgovory

Some US officials are going over to Ukraine to investigate.  FBI and NTSB types.  Does anyone have a problem with that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017