BREAKING NEWS - Malaysian airliner crashes on Russian-Ukrainian border

Started by Tamas, July 17, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 22, 2014, 10:55:25 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2014, 10:40:57 AM
Quote from: frunk on July 22, 2014, 10:37:02 AM
To whoever separated the crap out of this thread, thank you.

Seperatist!

;)

I do live in Texas...

This thread has been liberated by the Langustistan People's Republic. We will hold the referendum tomorrow. All hail Putin!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2014, 11:07:18 AM
Have you ever actually met a Texanationalist vM?  You used to see the SECEDE bumper stickers around from time to time but I never have actually met one.

Not a serious one.  I have met people who play up Texas' supposed importance to the rest of the country and how much the US would lose if Texas seceded.  No one was seriously calling for it, though.

Tamas

Luckily, after working hard to rid of this thread of stereotypical US political BS thrown at each other by US posters, BvS immediately starts off a conversation that has every chance to deteriorate into the exact thing he just removed.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on July 22, 2014, 11:30:47 AM
Luckily, after working hard to rid of this thread of stereotypical US political BS thrown at each other by US posters, BvS immediately starts off a conversation that has every chance to deteriorate into the exact thing he just removed.

Texanationalism is something not even DG or Berkut have strong feelings about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2014, 11:32:41 AM

Texanationalism is not something even DG or Berkut have strong feelings about.

Phew

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2014, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2014, 01:35:45 AM
Quote from: Jaron on July 22, 2014, 01:25:17 AM
Mitt warned us of Russia.
Credit to him.  I never criticized him for saying that Russia is our primary geopolitical enemy, and I kind of felt disappointed that Obama's team thought Mitt's assessment was worthy of mockery.  Clearly Obama is going to regret making that clever comment he made during the debate, if he isn't already.

Bully?  Yes.  Nuisance?  Yup.  Pain in the ass?  Definitely.  Obstructionist?  You betcha! *wink*

But they're still a far cry from being #1 on the threat board.  We have more pressing--and real concerns--in the Pacific, and with the occassional appearance of some turbaned idiots on monkey bars in the desert that keep Hansy up at night.
I think it's debatable, but it's not like Obama mocked Romney because he thought China was #1 threat.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2014, 11:32:41 AM

Texanationalism is something not even DG or Berkut have strong feelings about.
Are you this fucking insane?  I very much have a strong feeling about it.  Not sure what it is yet, though.

Razgovory

I respectfully disagree with CdM.  Russia is the main enemy.  They will always be the enemy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2014, 12:25:24 PM
I think it's debatable, but it's not like Obama mocked Romney because he thought China was #1 threat.

No, he mocked Romney for bitching about the US Navy having shunk to pre-WW1 levels.  In that regard, Obama was correct: greater capability does not require greater numbers.  We don't need to challeng the Soviets on all 7 seas anymore.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2014, 01:37:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 22, 2014, 12:25:24 PM

No, he mocked Romney for bitching about the US Navy having shunk to pre-WW1 levels.  In that regard, Obama was correct: greater capability does not require greater numbers.  We don't need to challeng the Soviets on all 7 seas anymore.
I think the bayonet thing was a different mocking.  That one was good.  I don't recall the context, but I don't think the Russia thing was connected to the Navy reduction thing.

Eddie Teach

The only thing worse than driving through Texas would be driving through Texas and having to go through customs twice.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Considering Romney's Russia comment wasn't during the debate, but prompted by the moderator, it was still fair game and relevant.

Berkut

OK, so back to the Ukraine...

It seems pretty clear what happened:

The Russians gave the separatists a high altitude SAM.
Rebels used it (or Russian techs) to shoot down what they thought was a military plane, but oops, turned out to be a airliner.

What is an appropriate response from the West if the above is what happened? More sanctions against Russia?

I would favor additional support for the Ukraine as well - we should Lend Lease them some drones.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on July 22, 2014, 01:51:22 PM
I would favor additional support for the Ukraine as well - we should Lend Lease them some unarmed drones.

Agree, subject to the bolded change.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Actually we should order some drones from Israel & have them shipped to Kiev.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall