BREAKING NEWS - Malaysian airliner crashes on Russian-Ukrainian border

Started by Tamas, July 17, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I don't think we should be arming Ukraine against Russia Russian separatists.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

In addition to providing unlimited satellite and imagery intel, I want Green Beanies and Delta operators on the ground in a covert advisory capacity macht schnell.

Agelastus

Quote from: Berkut on July 22, 2014, 01:51:22 PM
The Russians gave the separatists a high altitude SAM.

Sp it's been confirmed then that it wasn't a SAM from that Ukrainian weapons depot that the Rebels seized a few weeks back? I was unaware of this. :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

Depends what you mean by confirmed.  CNN showed some video footage released by the Ukrainian government of a Buk missile launcher (with one missile tube empty) driving through seperatist controlled territory.

Razgovory

US sats picked it up firing from "separatists" zone of control.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2014, 04:48:11 PM

Yes, but the issue is where they got the weapon from. Did they steal it from an overrun Ukrainan armory, or did the Russians just give it to them?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

That still leaves open the question of whether this was a missile captured by the separatists or one provided to the separatists by the Russians.  My guess is the former, but that still leaves open the possibility of Russian technicians operating the thing.

edit: damnit, Malthus.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Okay this sounds less ambiguous, if true:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/ukranian-officials-accuse-rebel-militias-of-moving-bodies-tampering-with-evidence/2014/07/19/bef07204-0f1c-11e4-b8e5-d0de80767fc2_story.html

QuoteKIEV, Ukraine — The United States has confirmed that Russia supplied sophisticated missile launchers to separatists in eastern Ukraine and that attempts were made to move them back across the Russian border after the Thursday shoot-down of a Malaysian jet liner, a U.S. official said Saturday.

"We do believe they were trying to move back into Russia at least three Buk [missile launch] systems," the official said. U.S. intelligence was "starting to get indications . . . a little more than a week ago" that the Russian launchers had been moved into Ukraine, said the official.

The official's comments, made on condition of anonymity to speak about intelligence matters, came as a top Ukrainian counterintelligence official said his service has conclusive proof that Russia supplied the missile that shot down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 over territory controlled by the separatists.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2014, 04:51:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2014, 04:48:11 PM

Yes, but the issue is where they got the weapon from. Did they steal it from an overrun Ukrainan armory, or did the Russians just give it to them?

That strikes me as less of an issue.  For one thing, these aren't really "separatists", anymore then the people that took over Crimea were "separatists".  These are Russian soldiers out of uniform who have crossed the border.  Whether they are Russians who brought their own kit, or Russians who captured some doesn't really matter much.  Also, when did we stop using NATO reporting names?  I heard about this, and was thinking "What the hell is a 'Buc'"?  It's an SA-11 Gadfly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2014, 04:52:56 PM
That still leaves open the question of whether this was a missile captured by the separatists or one provided to the separatists by the Russians.  My guess is the former, but that still leaves open the possibility of Russian technicians operating the thing.

I must admit that I don't see any difference between the scenarios.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

I'm not often impressed by Dutch politicians, but foreign affairs minister Timmermans gave a very good speech at the UN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcGCBHNcKyI

Zanza

Quote from: grumbler on July 22, 2014, 06:04:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2014, 04:52:56 PM

I must admit that I don't see any difference between the scenarios.
Me neither. In the end the separatists would not have shot down a passenger plane if Russia hadn't supported them.

Tamas

A Hungarian blogger-turned-journalist whom I like pointed out the utter lack of a unified EU answer to this. He stated, and it is hard to argue with, that the EU does not exist, as far as foreign policy is concerned. Its member states, like the Dutch in this case, are left alone to deal with their foreign problems.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on July 23, 2014, 06:11:53 AM
A Hungarian blogger-turned-journalist whom I like pointed out the utter lack of a unified EU answer to this. He stated, and it is hard to argue with, that the EU does not exist, as far as foreign policy is concerned. Its member states, like the Dutch in this case, are left alone to deal with their foreign problems.

True enough. The Dutch government is now considering sending troops to Ukraine to secure the crash site.

Norgy

Apparently, two Ukrainian fighter planes have been shot down just now.