Staind singer stops concert to demand audience members stop ‘molesting’ teen

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2014, 06:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on June 05, 2014, 10:17:52 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 09:50:20 AM
Right supposedly we have, what, 90,000 rapes a year?  Over 80 years that is 7.2 million and fall disproportionally on the female side of the population.  So no surprise then that 18% to 20% of women have been raped.  I mean that still means 80% haven't.  Not exactly a rape every time  somebody goes to the convenient store.

With ~150 million women that gives 4.8% of women raped over 80 years if every single rape is a different woman.  That still sounds way off.  To get to 20% you need 30 million different women raped (not incidences of rape, women raped who haven't been raped before), which is 5 times higher.  That would require 375,000 newly victimized women every year over the 80 year span.  Rape statistics might be underreported, but I don't think they are that far underreported.

You are right.  My brain missed a decimal place there.  How embarrassing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 10:19:09 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 10:15:48 AM
I'd love to see some stats on how often that happens.

Feminists claim it is extremely low.  It might be but I am not sure how one would be able to get accurate stats.  I guess you could ask people 'have you ever falsely accused somebody of rape or sexual assault'.

I think it happens more often than most women want to believe, but still far lower than most men believe.

Again, the cost can be very high with the rewards being very low.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Legbiter

Right supposedly we have, what, 90,000 rapes a year?  Over 80 years that is 7.2 million and fall disproportionally on the female side of the population.  So no surprise then that 18% to 20% of women have been raped.  I mean that still means 80% haven't.  Not exactly a rape every time  somebody goes to the convenient store.

:huh:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 10:15:48 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2014, 10:14:09 AM
False rape accusations are also part of The Problem.

Agreed.

I'd love to see some stats on how often that happens.

I guess your insinuation is that it doesn't happen very often.  Anyway, I also wish there were reliable statistics on false accusations.  Just like how it would be nice to have reliable statistics on the % of true accusations.

Anecdotally, there have been several high profile cases.  First one that springs to mind is the Ohio U student who was drunk during their homecoming weekend and had a guy going down on her on the sidewalk of a somewhat busy street in town.  Several people recorded video of the event and she was so embarrassed about it she reported it as rape.  It was pretty obvious from the video that it was not rape, but people were coming out of the woodwork to try & explain how it was.  IIRC the accused guy ended up getting beaten up a couple times.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on June 05, 2014, 10:24:47 AM

Oh sure wait until after I admitted I fucked it up to call me out :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 10:19:09 AMFeminists claim it is extremely low.  It might be but I am not sure how one would be able to get accurate stats.  I guess you could ask people 'have you ever falsely accused somebody of rape or sexual assault'.  But, you know, even in an anonymous poll that is some pretty hard core self awareness and honesty.

Two recent cases here from Iceland where men were aquitted of rape charges because they produced smartphone recordings of the proceedings in court.  :wacko:

Gotta love those Millennial smartphone zombies.  :rolleyes:

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2014, 10:26:25 AM
I guess your insinuation is that it doesn't happen very often.  Anyway, I also wish there were reliable statistics on false accusations.  Just like how it would be nice to have reliable statistics on the % of true accusations.

Yep.  It is so hard to get a grip on everything related to rape.

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 10:27:08 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on June 05, 2014, 10:24:47 AM

Oh sure wait until after I admitted I fucked it up to call me out :lol:

Sorry!  :o

Didn't see that.  :sleep:

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on June 05, 2014, 10:28:49 AM
Two recent cases here from Iceland where men were aquitted of rape charges because they produced smartphone recordings of the proceedings in court.  :wacko:

Gotta love those Millennial smartphone zombies.  :rolleyes:

That is exactly what I am thinking of recommending my kids do.  With the obvious caveat they do not do it secretly.

Legbiter

Quote from: frunk on June 05, 2014, 10:17:52 AMWith ~150 million women that gives 4.8% of women raped over 80 years if every single rape is a different woman.  That still sounds way off.  To get to 20% you need 30 million different women raped (not incidences of rape, women raped who haven't been raped before), which is 5 times higher.  That would require 375,000 newly victimized women every year over the 80 year span.  Rape statistics might be underreported, but I don't think they are that far underreported.

Yes, this is the "Congolese war zone" problem with feminist/fantasy rape statistics.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2014, 10:26:25 AM

Anecdotally, there have been several high profile cases.  First one that springs to mind is the Ohio U student who was drunk during their homecoming weekend and had a guy going down on her on the sidewalk of a somewhat busy street in town.  Several people recorded video of the event and she was so embarrassed about it she reported it as rape.  It was pretty obvious from the video that it was not rape, but people were coming out of the woodwork to try & explain how it was.  IIRC the accused guy ended up getting beaten up a couple times.

No, my insinuation was that I really would like to see some stats on that. I believe that the number of false accusations are far more than women would like to believe.

The whole drunk thing is really weird. I mean, if one person is drunk and the other isn't, that makes it a lot more clear-cut. Unless the drunk is the one forcing the sober one, which definitely muddies the water. But when both are drunk, who's raping whom?

I think everyone agrees that a relatively sober person taking advantage of a passed-out or highly intoxicated person is rape. (And I've known women who have raped men that way and saw nothing wrong with it, which made me sick.) But outside that very obvious transgression, it's just too damn hard to really define what makes it rape when drinking. And I do believe that too many rape-advocates are using these situations inappropriately to "pad the numbers".

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 10:38:20 AM
But when both are drunk, who's raping whom?

This question is the one I am too scared to ask the activists about.  Alot of them claim that unequal power arrangements (and not officially but say...a fan having sex with a rock star) are also rape.  I guess if you are a big star you can only have consensual sex with other big stars?  I don't know unless you are officially over somebody I find that one tough to accept.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 10:46:07 AM
But when both are drunk, who's raping whom?

This question is the one I am too scared to ask the activists about.  Alot of them claim that unequal power arrangements (and not officially but say...a fan having sex with a rock star) are also rape.  I guess if you are a big star you can only have consensual sex with other big stars?  I don't know unless you are officially over somebody I find that one tough to accept.

Same here. There's this dynamic with activists that it's all or nothing, but like you've said repeatedly in this thread, there's a lot that isn't black or white about rape. And the concept of false accusations really drives that home. What's even worse is when an activist tells a woman (and that's almost always how that works) that she was raped when she never felt she was.

I believe that rape is a very serious problem in our culture, but I don't believe that crying rape for every questionable decision is the answer to fixing it.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 09:53:00 AM
Another stat I found very surprising is that, allegedly, men and women were very nearly equal in receiving "non-rape" sexual violence over the past year:

QuoteApproximately 1 in 20 women and men (5.6% and 5.3%, respectively) experienced sexual violence other than rape, such as being made to penetrate someone else, sexual coercion, unwanted sexual contact, or non-contact unwanted sexual experiences, in the 12 months prior to the survey.

I would have expected women to have received more, by a large margin. Apparently not.

Great, more language trying to tell me that I've been the victim of sexual assault.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I think everyone agrees that a relatively sober person taking advantage of a passed-out or highly intoxicated person is rape. (And I've known women who have raped men that way and saw nothing wrong with it, which made me sick.) But outside that very obvious transgression, it's just too damn hard to really define what makes it rape when drinking. And I do believe that too many rape-advocates are using these situations inappropriately to "pad the numbers".

I don't know. Let's say one person is somewhat intoxicated and the other is very intoxicated yet the latter initiates the sexual activity. Is it rape if the latter person decides in the morning that they didn't "really" want to have done that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.