Staind singer stops concert to demand audience members stop ‘molesting’ teen

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2014, 06:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2014, 02:37:37 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 02:27:47 PM
I agree with every point derspeiss says here.

One very public false accusation can undo a decade of forward progress for all those victims to come. That's a major issue.

Well then, I didn't think I'd see the day.

I have found an issue where I'm more feminist than merithyn.

:mellow:

:hug:

It's okay. I still think you're manly. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 02:39:17 PM
If Merithyn was a Feminist blogger she would have ripped to shreds to left to die by the internet Feminist purity patrol long ago.

Not to hear Legbiter and derspeiss tell it. :P

I've always kind of considered myself a moderate when it comes to feminism, at least compared to the bra-burners. But apparently to Languishites, I make the bra-burners look positively June Cleaverish. ;)

Ideologue

Only rarely have I seen Meri engage in what we'd pejoratively call identity politics.  Usually because of something I did.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 02:42:23 PM

I've always kind of considered myself a moderate when it comes to feminism, at least compared to the bra-burners. But apparently to Languishites, I make the bra-burners look positively June Cleaverish. ;)

You throw me off sometimes by making radical-sounding statements and then later sounding more moderate.  Kinda frustrating for me because I'm usually able to get a good read on people early on :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2014, 02:47:37 PM
Only rarely have I seen Meri engage in what we'd pejoratively call identity politics.  Usually because of something I did.

I think I've set her off more times than you have.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 02:37:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2014, 02:34:30 PM
You have to be drunk the point where you're incapable of giving consent - i.e. you're unconscious or no longer capable of speaking comprehensibly.

Having sex while drunk is still perfectly legal, to the relief of university students everywhere.

Oh. Well, that makes it much less gray, as it's usually kind of hard for two unconscious people to engage in coitus. Not impossible, but definitely harder.

Yeah though I think bit in bold seems in play. It isn't like you need a lot of communication to have sex / can still have (even if not full penetrative) some sort of sexual contact while that intoxicated. Seems like it could be hard to determine if someone consented especially if he comes down to he said/she said (and other gender permutations).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2014, 03:10:13 PM

No, she's surprisingly patient with you. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2014, 03:09:09 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 02:42:23 PM

You throw me off sometimes by making radical-sounding statements and then later sounding more moderate.  Kinda frustrating for me because I'm usually able to get a good read on people early on :P

That's because you assume that if I feel one way about a topic, I follow the entire political bent for that topic, which I rarely do.

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2014, 03:32:02 PM

No, she's surprisingly patient with you. :P

I'm patient with both of you. :P

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 04:03:43 PM
That's because you assume that if I feel one way about a topic, I follow the entire political bent for that topic, which I rarely do.

Then tone down your opening statements :P

derspiess

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2014, 04:06:01 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 04:03:43 PM

Then tone down your opening statements :P

Dude, after 10 years, you'd think you'd know me well enough by now to know that I probably have a far more moderate view than it seems at first blush. :P

CountDeMoney

Your identity sucks ass balls.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Are you guys competing on that?  :)