Staind singer stops concert to demand audience members stop ‘molesting’ teen

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2014, 06:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Another stat I found very surprising is that, allegedly, men and women were very nearly equal in receiving "non-rape" sexual violence over the past year:

QuoteApproximately 1 in 20 women and men (5.6% and 5.3%, respectively) experienced sexual violence other than rape, such as being made to penetrate someone else, sexual coercion, unwanted sexual contact, or non-contact unwanted sexual experiences, in the 12 months prior to the survey.

I would have expected women to have received more, by a large margin. Apparently not.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2014, 09:48:23 AM
No, being raped is not something people typically gossip about. 

I was thinking more of second-hand gossip. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2014, 09:54:54 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2014, 09:48:23 AM
No, being raped is not something people typically gossip about. 

I was thinking more of second-hand gossip.

From whom? If a woman has been raped and there are no witnesses, either she has to talk about it ... or he does, for anyone to know about it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Again due to both our prison culture and the large number of men who cycle through it, this does not surprise me at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 09:56:33 AM
Again due to both our prison culture and the large number of men who cycle through it, this does not surprise me at all.

I can't agree - the prison population simply cannot be so large, that sexual violence to men in prision = all sexual violence experienced by women in society, whether in prison or not.

Again, it seems odd to me that "being made to penetrate someone else" is classified as non-rape "sexual violence".

merithyn

Quote from: Legbiter on June 05, 2014, 09:50:05 AM
Probably if every catcall on the street, every drunk grope, every morning after regret was classified as sexual assault they're able to massage the statistics up to 1 in 5.

But to suggest 1 in every 5 women is dragged into the bushes, jesus give me a break.

You have a very narrow view of rape if you think it requires being "dragged into the bushes".
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Legbiter

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 10:06:30 AMYou have a very narrow view of rape if you think it requires being "dragged into the bushes".

Regret is not rape.

Sorry meri.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

merithyn

Quote from: Legbiter on June 05, 2014, 10:07:10 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 10:06:30 AMYou have a very narrow view of rape if you think it requires being "dragged into the bushes".

Regret is not rape.

Sorry meri.

Gentlemen, I give you The Problem.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2014, 10:14:09 AM
False rape accusations are also part of The Problem.

That strikes me as a separate, if related, issue.

Rape is a weird crime for all kinds of reasons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2014, 10:14:09 AM
False rape accusations are also part of The Problem.

Agreed.

I'd love to see some stats on how often that happens. Given the stigma toward women who are victims of rape, I'd guess not nearly as often as you might think. There's a specific downside to crying rape when it really happens, hence the significant lack of reporting.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 09:56:28 AM
From whom? If a woman has been raped and there are no witnesses, either she has to talk about it ... or he does, for anyone to know about it.

Never mind.

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 09:50:20 AM
Right supposedly we have, what, 90,000 rapes a year?  Over 80 years that is 7.2 million and fall disproportionally on the female side of the population.  So no surprise then that 18% to 20% of women have been raped.  I mean that still means 80% haven't.  Not exactly a rape every time  somebody goes to the convenient store.

With ~150 million women that gives 4.8% of women raped over 80 years if every single rape is a different woman.  That still sounds way off.  To get to 20% you need 30 million different women raped (not incidences of rape, women raped who haven't been raped before), which is 5 times higher.  That would require 375,000 newly victimized women every year over the 80 year span.  Rape statistics might be underreported, but I don't think they are that far underreported.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2014, 10:16:22 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 09:56:28 AM

Never mind.

For what it's worth, when I was raped at 16, he told all his buddies that he'd "had" me in his sister's bed, and that I was a "wild animal" in the sheets. I said nothing, because what is there to say at that? By the way, fighting off an attack is apparently being a "wild animal" in the sheets. Who knew?

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 10:15:48 AM
I'd love to see some stats on how often that happens.

Feminists claim it is extremely low.  It might be but I am not sure how one would be able to get accurate stats.  I guess you could ask people 'have you ever falsely accused somebody of rape or sexual assault'.  But, you know, even in an anonymous poll that is some pretty hard core self awareness and honesty.