Staind singer stops concert to demand audience members stop ‘molesting’ teen

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2014, 06:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on June 03, 2014, 11:03:53 PM
Meri, without discussing the details of any particular dress code, are there limits where a person of ordinary constitution is relieved of the responsibility of being one hundred percent in control of their thoughts, feelings, and inner life, as distinct from their actions, due to what other humans are or are not wearing?

For some reason this reminds me of the old Beavis & Butthead episode where they sue some girl for sexual harassment because she keeps giving them erections :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 11:07:01 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 03, 2014, 11:03:53 PM
Meri, without discussing the details of any particular dress code, are there limits where a person of ordinary constitution is relieved of the responsibility of being one hundred percent in control of their thoughts, feelings, and inner life, as distinct from their actions, due to other humans?

Sure...? I guess if someone was waving a loaded gun in your face, I'd wager you wouldn't be 100% in control of your thoughts, feelings, and inner life?
I edited to be slightly more clear.  I mean clothing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 10:44:35 PM
Quote from: dps on June 03, 2014, 10:35:01 PM
Well, not to speak for derspiess, but that's the situation at one particular school.  Your posts could be seen as claiming that it's universal.  It's certainly not.  Granted, there is an underlying attitude that's pretty widespeard, but it's not universal.

According to the National Center for Educational Statistics, 57% of all schools have a "strict" dresscode, with another 19% made to wear uniforms. Dress codes are pretty standard anymore. And the standard rhetoric is that it's to "alleviate distractions".

LINK

I wonder what that (a "strict" dress code) actually means. 

I thought my high school didn't have a dress code, but I later (after I graduated from college) found out that we did, apparantly.  I never have found out what it was.  Considering how we dressed sometimes, it either had to be a very broad dress code, or else it was completely unenforced (given that none of the students were aware of it, I'd have to think the latter).

I kind of wished that chart went back further;  I'd like to see if my high school was unusual, or if things have just changed that much over time.

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on June 03, 2014, 11:14:20 PM
I edited to be slightly more clear.  I mean clothing.

I suppose if you're a prude, nudity might do that for you. Of course, the dress code doesn't really make much sense in the grand scheme of things. If everyone is so concerned with boys' hormones getting the better of them, the dresscode as stated is kind of a joke.

This dress is to code:

This one is not:

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ideologue

QuoteIf everyone is so concerned with boys' hormones getting the better of them

Y'know, I get the impulse, but I'm not sure it's necessary to deride men as sexual beings.  It's about as useful and conducive to dialogue as saying someone's dressed like a slut.

Anyway, I don't think either dress is really inappropriate for school, though the black one could be pushing it, but not for the straps (which I expect is why it doesn't pass muster).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Actually, I was gonna say that's inappropriate for school--unless the dress code is black fucking tie. :lol:
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

frunk

Is the issue that there is a dress code, or that the dress code is poorly written?

Ideologue

Quote from: frunk on June 04, 2014, 12:52:28 AM
Is the issue that there is a dress code, or that the dress code is poorly written?

I think the unnecessary conflation of the two issues is the source of the confusion.
Kinemalogue

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: frunk on June 04, 2014, 12:52:28 AM

It's that boys are apparently allowed to wear tiny shorts or bare shoulders. Discrimination.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2014, 12:47:46 AM
Quite the nice little package there in purple. :wub:

No shit, right? 

But for all the fashion faux pas women accuse men of committing, it never ceases to amaze me how many manatees think they could actually fit into something like that, think it looks good, and wear it out in public.

THATS NO MOON THATS A MUFFINTOP