Staind singer stops concert to demand audience members stop ‘molesting’ teen

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2014, 06:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 03:03:11 PM
Clearly not everyone got that memo, or the girl at the concert wouldn't have been groped.

Don't get me started on how kids are being raised these days.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the alleged gropers had been taught not to do that.  Some guys just turn out to be assholes despite their parents' best efforts.

I admit that I've said things like that in the past, because I was stupid.

Well, honestly I have never said that.  I can vaguely remember being upset with someone who got victimized (non-sexually) and could have prevented it from happening by exercising a little bit of caution and common sense, but that's about it. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on June 03, 2014, 03:16:52 PM
Sounds like she thinks she's entitled to sex.

Once you are preggy for 18 months and have my babies you pretty much are for life.  Just FYI if interested.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 03, 2014, 03:18:12 PM

Don't get me started on how kids are being raised these days.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the alleged gropers had been taught not to do that.  Some guys just turn out to be assholes despite their parents' best efforts.

:yes:

Agreed on all counts.

Well, honestly I have never said that.  I can vaguely remember being upset with someone who got victimized (non-sexually) and could have prevented it from happening by exercising a little bit of caution and common sense, but that's about it.

I think you're in the minority on this one. Even the most enlightened of individuals have been known to say something like that, thinking they were helping, oddly enough.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 03:25:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 03, 2014, 03:18:12 PM

:yes:

Agreed on all counts.

I think you're in the minority on this one. Even the most enlightened of individuals have been known to say something like that, thinking they were helping, oddly enough.

It was always kind of frustrating dealing with sex assault victims who put themselves in incredibly vulnerable situations thus leading to their victimization.  You know, someone who got blindingly drunk and passed out at someone else's house.  The temptation is strong to say "you know, in future..." but of course that helps no one.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2014, 03:36:59 PM
It was always kind of frustrating dealing with sex assault victims who put themselves in incredibly vulnerable situations thus leading to their victimization.  You know, someone who got blindingly drunk and passed out at someone else's house.  The temptation is strong to say "you know, in future..." but of course that helps no one.

No. What led to their victimization was a person believing that it was their right to take what they wanted, and did so.

Valmy

It was always kind of frustrating dealing with sex assault victims who put themselves in incredibly vulnerable situations thus leading to their victimization.

Well at least it makes it easy to find the people who need to go to gaol.  Though, from what you are telling me, it is really hard to send preds to gaol.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 03:40:36 PM

No. What led to their victimization was a person believing that it was their right to take what they wanted, and did so.

You seem confused.  I wasn't prosecuting the victim - I was prosecuting the perpetrator.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 01:53:10 PM
Except that I often and regularly see the top, and almost never see the bottom. Seems a bit... unbalanced in approach.

Really?  Your position is that people are almost never told that rape is wrong?  By parents, the courts, no one?

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2014, 03:52:58 PM
You seem confused.  I wasn't prosecuting the victim - I was prosecuting the perpetrator.

I misread what you wrote. Sorry.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2014, 04:10:15 PM
Except that I often and regularly see the top, and almost never see the bottom. Seems a bit... unbalanced in approach.

Really?  Your position is that people are almost never told that rape is wrong?  By parents, the courts, no one?

What constitutes rape is somewhat ambiguous to many. Same with harassment and acceptable touching.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2014, 04:10:15 PM

My experience is that rape is always abhorred theoretically.  But once an actual rape occurs out come all the excuses and nonsense.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 04:15:26 PM
What constitutes rape is somewhat ambiguous to many. Same with harassment and acceptable touching.

This is very different from the post I responded to.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2014, 04:18:15 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 04:15:26 PM

This is very different from the post I responded to.

Really? The post you responded to said that we should be concentrating on teaching people that rape, harassment and unwanted groping is unacceptable. If people can't define those things, how can we teach that it's bad?