Staind singer stops concert to demand audience members stop ‘molesting’ teen

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2014, 06:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 03, 2014, 09:19:06 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2014, 08:18:59 AM
Why did you remove your post, Ed?

Staind is the kind of faggit rock Ed listens to, no wonder he's ashamed, left his purity ring at the last Silverchair show.

Why do you hurt the ones you love?   :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: derspiess on June 03, 2014, 02:57:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 02:47:40 PM
As I said, it's rarely taught to boys that it's not okay to touch a girl when she doesn't expressly tell him that it's okay. That's a bit different than "keep your hands to yourself".

I think that covers it pretty well, actually. 

Hmm, I don't recall my parents specifically telling me "it's not okay to touch a girl when she doesn't expressly tell him that it's okay"

FWIW, I can recall my parents telling me, "Never lay your hands on a girl without her OK".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2014, 06:03:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 03, 2014, 09:19:06 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2014, 08:18:59 AM
Why did you remove your post, Ed?

Staind is the kind of faggit rock Ed listens to, no wonder he's ashamed, left his purity ring at the last Silverchair show.

Why do you hurt the ones you love?   :cry:

Don't worry, I give Mom shit, too.

Camerus

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 04:54:12 PM
I didn't say we couldn't. I said that the balance right now is on teaching girls how to avoid rape rather than on teaching boys (and girls) what rape, harassment, and unwanted assault is.

That would definitely be worrisome if that were the case.  What evidence gives you the impression that it is?

merithyn

Quote from: Camerus on June 03, 2014, 09:32:20 PM
I didn't say we couldn't. I said that the balance right now is on teaching girls how to avoid rape rather than on teaching boys (and girls) what rape, harassment, and unwanted assault is.

That would definitely be worrisome if that were the case.  What evidence gives you the impression that it is?

Well, having had discussions with my children going through the public school systems, the topic of what constitutes rape is barely touched on in Health and Sex Ed classes. However, how girls should avoid being raped is a common discussion throughout school Health classes starting in the 8th grade. Dress codes exist only for girls (shorts fingertip length, straps two-finger width, etc) to avoid "distracting" boys in the classroom. (That is the exact reason given for the dress codes. As if boys are incapable of controlling their urges when a girl in a short skirt walks into the room, therefore it's the girl's responsibility.)

This is a common discussion among many of my friends from around the US. The lessons learned are that a girl's job is to do everything in her power to avoid being raped, because boys will be boys and you can't count on them to do the right thing. That is the focus.

There are worldwide movements meant to bring on these kinds of discussions. Movements like #YesAllWoman, which means that yes, all women have been harassed or sexually demeaned at some point in their lives because of their gender. There is not a single woman that I have met who hasn't had to adjust something she's done to protect herself simply because she's female. Something that a man wouldn't even think about, but all women have to, like never walking away from a drink at the bar and then coming back to it.

Do I have statistics to back this up? No, I'm sorry; I don't.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

LOL, too funny, watching Meri mix it up with "little-girls-should-be-nurses-and-little-boys-should-be-doctors" derfoetus. 

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 09:58:04 PM
Quote from: Camerus on June 03, 2014, 09:32:20 PM

Well, having had discussions with my children going through the public school systems, the topic of what constitutes rape is barely touched on in Health and Sex Ed classes. However, how girls should avoid being raped is a common discussion throughout school Health classes starting in the 8th grade. Dress codes exist only for girls (shorts fingertip length, straps two-finger width, etc) to avoid "distracting" boys in the classroom. (That is the exact reason given for the dress codes. As if boys are incapable of controlling their urges when a girl in a short skirt walks into the room, therefore it's the girl's responsibility.)

OK, in fairness, those are two different things.  There are valid reasons why women (and men) should wear clothing appropriate to their activity.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 03, 2014, 10:05:06 PM
LOL, too funny, watching Meri mix it up with "little-girls-should-be-nurses-and-little-boys-should-be-doctors" derfoetus.

I came too late to the party to play.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on June 03, 2014, 10:06:50 PMOK, in fairness, those are two different things.  There are valid reasons why women (and men) should wear clothing appropriate to their activity.

There may be "valid reasons to wear appropriate clothing" as you say; that doesn't counter Meri's point that the message being sent to girls is that they are responsible for the boys' actions and reactions.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on June 03, 2014, 10:15:06 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 03, 2014, 10:06:50 PMOK, in fairness, those are two different things.  There are valid reasons why women (and men) should wear clothing appropriate to their activity.

There may be "valid reasons to wear appropriate clothing" as you say; that does counter Meri's point that the message being sent to girls is that they are responsible for the boys' actions and reactions.

I'm hoping you meant "doesn't counter". ;)

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 10:18:42 PM

There may be "valid reasons to wear appropriate clothing" as you say; that does counter Meri's point that the message being sent to girls is that they are responsible for the boys' actions and reactions.

I'm hoping you meant "doesn't counter". ;)

:lol:

Yes

merithyn

It's been relatively hostile-free. :P

And been a great distraction for me today. Thanks, all! :D

derspiess

Meri's point that the message being sent to girls is that they are responsible for the boys' actions and reactions.

Meri's point is overstated.  Way overstated.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2014, 10:11:09 PM

I came too late to the party to play.  :(

You started to play, but then deleted your post. :P