Glaciers draining Antarctic basin destabilized, 4m level rise all but certain

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2014, 03:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Sheilbh

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 14, 2014, 03:02:07 PM
I mostly feel helpless on the issue of global warming and its effects.  I'm already a low-emissions person by developed world standards just by virtue of my income and lifestyle; thinking about it in depth makes me anxious; and I do find it pretty complicated to understand, other than that it's a major problem. 

So I have to admit I do unintentionally cabin it off in my mind and don't treat with the requisite seriousness, mostly as a mental protective measure.  I have a feeling others do this too.
Same.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on May 14, 2014, 04:00:53 PM
Scientific consensus vs grumbler and derspiess.  :)

I'm not making any arguments in this thread.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on May 14, 2014, 01:57:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 14, 2014, 01:53:36 PM
I will give the benefit of the doubt and think it has to do with lack of knowledge. 

I think it has little to do with lack of knowledge and more to do with lack of immediacy. There is no immediate personal impact, so political tribal declarations and attempts at internet cleverness is more important than gaining an understanding of the facts of the matter.

+1
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

While I don't want to excuse Russia, I cannot help but feel, at least a little bit, kind of "oh well" about whatever happens to the Ukraine.

Fundamentally, a state has to be strong enough to protect itself - at least at some nominal level that makes it's existence actually credible. The Ukraine is so thoroughly corrupt and screwed up that they seem to completely lack the ability to protect themselves from largely disorganized bandits, basically. Yes, I am aware that those are in fact a bunch of d-bags, some of which are being supported by Russia, if not actually Russian. But the reason that works is because the Ukraine is so incredibly weak that such a transparent farce is actually effective.

Russia is still the ogre here, but to some extent the Ukraine has largely defined itself as not being a viable political entity.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Monoriu

I have decided that I am not going to care about global warming.  There is nothing I can do that will have a material impact on the outcome. 

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on May 14, 2014, 04:51:07 PM
I have decided that I am not going to care about global warming.  There is nothing I can do that will have a material impact on the outcome. 

Buy carbon offsets.  The ones I sell come with a fancy certificate made from hemp paper.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

I should really get into the Green industry.
Those faggots are making billions!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on May 14, 2014, 04:33:54 PM
While I don't want to excuse Russia, I cannot help but feel, at least a little bit, kind of "oh well" about whatever happens to the Ukraine.

Fundamentally, a state has to be strong enough to protect itself - at least at some nominal level that makes it's existence actually credible. The Ukraine is so thoroughly corrupt and screwed up that they seem to completely lack the ability to protect themselves from largely disorganized bandits, basically. Yes, I am aware that those are in fact a bunch of d-bags, some of which are being supported by Russia, if not actually Russian. But the reason that works is because the Ukraine is so incredibly weak that such a transparent farce is actually effective.

Russia is still the ogre here, but to some extent the Ukraine has largely defined itself as not being a viable political entity.

You do realize that climate change will affect other countries than Ukraine?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Brain on May 14, 2014, 05:04:13 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 14, 2014, 04:33:54 PM

You do realize that climate change will affect other countries than Ukraine?

Ukraine's failure to defend against the continued encroachment of climate change is just further proof that it is no longer a viable political entity. :( 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017