17 Year Old Wins GOP Primary for W. Virginia Statehouse

Started by jimmy olsen, May 15, 2014, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

If you have an hour on the train - there is plenty you can do. Only really terrible if you are in the car.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: sbr on May 18, 2014, 08:40:35 PM
That kind of a commute being "not bad" is insane to me, I can't imagine that kind of waste of time.

I have about 35 minutes in the morning and 45 in the afternoon.  Of course if I worked later than my 6AM-2:30PM shift it wold be worse for me, but still never that bad on a regular basis.

It's honestly typical, I know tons of people with commutes 45m+, not just in the DC area, I know people who commute over 60m to work in NYC, people who drive 65 mi/one way a day from the Houston exurbs etc.

PDH

I commute 5 minutes...6.5 minutes if there is traffic.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2014, 08:45:33 PM
If you have an hour on the train - there is plenty you can do. Only really terrible if you are in the car.

Yeah, there is plenty you can do, but there is even more you can't do while sitting on a train and not at home/anywhere else.  I guess it is the price you pay to work downtown in large metropolitan areas, but there is no way I would ever do that willingly.

sbr

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 18, 2014, 09:19:23 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 18, 2014, 08:40:35 PM
That kind of a commute being "not bad" is insane to me, I can't imagine that kind of waste of time.

I have about 35 minutes in the morning and 45 in the afternoon.  Of course if I worked later than my 6AM-2:30PM shift it wold be worse for me, but still never that bad on a regular basis.

It's honestly typical, I know tons of people with commutes 45m+, not just in the DC area, I know people who commute over 60m to work in NYC, people who drive 65 mi/one way a day from the Houston exurbs etc.

I understand that it is typical.  There are lots of things some people find typical that I would never willingly do.

My guess is, these people also probably work more than 8 hours a day; at that point you are spending more than half of every day either working or traveling to/from work.  Yuck. :yuk:

OttoVonBismarck

A lot of them are government employees, trust me, we don't ever work 8 hours a day. I'd say the average is 3-4, with some working 0.

It'd be more accurate to say they are present on site for 8 hours (although given most people arrive 15 minutes late leave 15 minutes early and take a 60-85 minute lunch even that is questionable), a lot of the ones with the really long commutes actually do the 4 x 10 schedule, so they only have to do that commute 4x a week.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 18, 2014, 10:30:31 PM
A lot of them are government employees, trust me, we don't ever work 8 hours a day. I'd say the average is 3-4, with some working 0.

Ain't that the truth.  In my few short months in Federal Contractorland, I have to say I've not been too terribly impressed.  No wonder everybody's so fucking friendly:  they don't operate under the constant fear of a RIF.  You institutionalized welfare queens never had it so good.

QuoteIt'd be more accurate to say they are present on site for 8 hours (although given most people arrive 15 minutes late leave 15 minutes early and take a 60-85 minute lunch even that is questionable), a lot of the ones with the really long commutes actually do the 4 x 10 schedule, so they only have to do that commute 4x a week.

Shit, they get to work from home twice a week anyway.  Makes the 90-miles in-90-minutes drive from WV much more bearable.  I drive 90 minutes too, but for 50 miles.  WV is a drag race as far as commutes go.

Phillip V

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 18, 2014, 10:30:31 PM

It'd be more accurate to say they are present on site for 8 hours (although given most people arrive 15 minutes late leave 15 minutes early and take a 60-85 minute lunch even that is questionable), a lot of the ones with the really long commutes actually do the 4 x 10 schedule, so they only have to do that commute 4x a week.
I want. :(

CountDeMoney