17 Year Old Wins GOP Primary for W. Virginia Statehouse

Started by jimmy olsen, May 15, 2014, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2014, 12:27:31 PM
There is quite a bit of overlap between the two, so it's not a big deal to use them interchangeably.

You have no pride in your hillbilly people Spicey.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

In the british empire "red neck" had quite differnt connotations to what they have in the US. Roinekke - afrikaans for red-neck - was used for English immigrants (who are known to go out in the mid-day sun with the mad dogs). The Austrialian use of "poms" for english is that the skin on their "red-necks" looked like the skin of a pommegranite.

Etymology wise the "red-neck" would be the valley dweller with sensitive skin who worked outside on his farm and hillbilly would be the "gentleman" of scottish ancestry who's ancestors moved from a hill in scotland to a hill in america continuing the dislike the lowlanders living below them.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Viking gets it.  I am impressed with your Americana-fu.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

What the hell...The adults in this town should be embarrassed

http://www.texomashomepage.com/story/d/story/18-year-old-becomes-archer-city-mayor/39081/R28H_fWBOUCdrZTGSuYB2g
QuoteHe may be graduating from high school this month, but already he's entering the political ring.

Kelvin Green, 18, was sworn in as Archer City Mayor Friday morning.

Green was the only person who filed to run for the position.

City officials say he is about twenty years younger than all of the city's previous mayors.

Green says while growing up, people always told him he'd be great for the position, because of his passion for Archer City.

"It's my whole world, its my life, I have lived here for 18 years and I am proud to be a part of it," he said.

Green says he doesn't have a grand agenda as the mayor. He says when you start telling people what you are going to do they usually get upset and he wants to avoid that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2014, 11:03:48 AM
What the hell...The adults in this town should be embarrassed

http://www.texomashomepage.com/story/d/story/18-year-old-becomes-archer-city-mayor/39081/R28H_fWBOUCdrZTGSuYB2g
QuoteHe may be graduating from high school this month, but already he's entering the political ring.

Kelvin Green, 18, was sworn in as Archer City Mayor Friday morning.

Green was the only person who filed to run for the position.

City officials say he is about twenty years younger than all of the city's previous mayors.

Green says while growing up, people always told him he'd be great for the position, because of his passion for Archer City.

"It's my whole world, its my life, I have lived here for 18 years and I am proud to be a part of it," he said.

Green says he doesn't have a grand agenda as the mayor. He says when you start telling people what you are going to do they usually get upset and he wants to avoid that.

This new 18-year-old can pat himself for being mayor, but he still can't legally drink. America. :(

Ideologue

De fault.  The two sweetest words in the English language.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on May 16, 2014, 01:31:28 PM
In the british empire "red neck" had quite differnt connotations to what they have in the US. Roinekke - afrikaans for red-neck - was used for English immigrants (who are known to go out in the mid-day sun with the mad dogs). The Austrialian use of "poms" for english is that the skin on their "red-necks" looked like the skin of a pommegranite.

Etymology wise the "red-neck" would be the valley dweller with sensitive skin who worked outside on his farm and hillbilly would be the "gentleman" of scottish ancestry who's ancestors moved from a hill in scotland to a hill in america continuing the dislike the lowlanders living below them.

I don't think that's that different from the North American usage, minus any specific implications of Englishness. Rednecks are thought to be poor, rural, and white - the red neck coming from being outside working for long stretches of time. Now, of course, the word carries strong connotations of the most prevalent cultural and social values of that group.

I guess in the US there may be some geographic connotations as well, but I'm not that convinced as I've heard (Americans) speak of rednecks in, say, Oregon and California, not just the South. And in Canada we use the term as well.

Capetan Mihali

It's used un-self-consciously in northern New England as well, and without a strong connotation of bigotry (since there have historically been essentially no non-whites to be bigoted against), in my experience.  There's a general connotation of cultural conservatism, but it really brings up more of the rural, outdoor-oriented lifestyle. 

Country music is almost as popular in the rural North (and English-speaking Canada, from what I'm led to believe) as it is in the South, so "redneck" has lost a lot of its regional specificity via the radio, especially the redneck-celebration/backlash subgenre.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Have you run into anyone who uses the term Swamp Yankee?

Capetan Mihali

I haven't.  I thought it kind of was specific to the eastern Conn./R.I./southeastern Mass. zone, though.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2014, 03:29:02 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 16, 2014, 01:31:28 PM

I don't think that's that different from the North American usage, minus any specific implications of Englishness. Rednecks are thought to be poor, rural, and white - the red neck coming from being outside working for long stretches of time. Now, of course, the word carries strong connotations of the most prevalent cultural and social values of that group.

I guess in the US there may be some geographic connotations as well, but I'm not that convinced as I've heard (Americans) speak of rednecks in, say, Oregon and California, not just the South. And in Canada we use the term as well.

I'd say that "redneck" is more general term for a rustic while hillbilly is a subset of rural people living in the mountains and hills of the Ozarks and Appalachia.  There is certainly a separate culture down there, I can understand a damn thing anyone living south of Jefferson City says.  Folks down there are poorer as well, it's a hardscrabble life.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

OttoVonBismarck

I suspect she will win; I'm familiar with D.C. area types who live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, they're basically the people whose careers have brought them to DC (typically work w/the or for the government), but want to be rednecks with property, and they're willing to commute 60-90 minutes to do it (it's not that bad of a commute since it's a train ride and I guess you can sleep during it.)

It's kind of a shame the other guy is out, I'd heard of his efforts to bring the Eastern Panhandle back to WV, it never should have been part of WV in the first place. It wasn't even part of the initial vote process, literally after it was clear WV was going to be formed as a State Lincoln said, "oh hey this section contains vital railroad and transit links so we'll go ahead and chop this off of Virginia too."

sbr

That kind of a commute being "not bad" is insane to me, I can't imagine that kind of waste of time.

I have about 35 minutes in the morning and 45 in the afternoon.  Of course if I worked later than my 6AM-2:30PM shift it wold be worse for me, but still never that bad on a regular basis.