Glaciers draining Antarctic basin destabilized, 4m level rise all but certain

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2014, 03:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2014, 05:49:02 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2014, 05:21:06 PM
Entertainment is one of the reasons i post here

And you are very entertaining.  So please carry on.

You can be sure I will.  Now, please get back to where you were arguing that I was an "anti sciencer" for arguing in favor of spending a trillion dollars to validate climate prediction models!  :lol:

That was some quality entertainment. :contract:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Climate Change is a conspiracy to let the rest of the world to catch up to the US.
Climate Change is a conspiracy intended to hold us back.
Climate Change is a weapon.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Siege on May 15, 2014, 06:09:20 PM
Climate Change is a conspiracy to let the rest of the world to catch up to the US.

Did Grumbler hack your account again?

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2014, 07:41:37 PM

Quoted to preserve for posterity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

The USS Ronald Reagan periodically forgets what it's mission is and gets lost at sea.  When this happens the tug, USS Nancy Reagan, has to go out and drag it back to port.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Ihope you enjoyed your little blunder session with Raz, CC, but let's get back on topic.  As I recall, you were about to explain your claim that I was an "anti sciencer" for arguing in favor of spending a trillion dollars to validate climate prediction models.

Or, if you'd like, you can skip the pretense of being interested in a logic-based debate and go straight to the ad hom stage.

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on May 15, 2014, 10:24:22 PM
The USS Ronald Reagan periodically forgets what it's mission is and gets lost at sea.  When this happens the tug, USS Nancy Reagan, has to go out and drag it back to port.

The USS Reagan gets lost at sea because it navigates by astrology.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2014, 07:57:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2014, 07:41:37 PM

Quoted to preserve for posterity.

I am thrilled that you wish to preserve my words of wisdom.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 16, 2014, 06:13:48 AM
As I recall, you were about to explain your claim that I was an "anti sciencer"

I appreciate your sprint away from your position that the IPCC is making it up based on their bias.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2014, 10:57:46 AM
You were about to explain your claim that I was an "anti sciencer" for arguing in favor of spending a trillion dollars to validate climate prediction models.  Pray continue, if you can.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 16, 2014, 11:27:23 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2014, 10:57:46 AM
You were about to explain your claim that I was an "anti sciencer" for arguing in favor of spending a trillion dollars to validate climate prediction models.  Pray continue, if you can.

Grumbles.  As I said, I appreciate you want to deflect as much as you can from the rather bizarre comments you made about the IPCC.  You explained your position rather well. It was bizarre but clearly explained. 

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2014, 12:19:50 PM
Grumbles.  As I said, I appreciate you want to deflect as much as you can from the rather bizarre comments you made about the IPCC.  You explained your position rather well. It was bizarre but clearly explained. 

Actually, you made your claim after I explained my trillion-dollar scientific experiment.  The only possible rationale for you to claim that I was an "anti sciencer" at that point (other than a misbelief on your part that scientific experiments are "anti-sciencer") was that I mentioned the fact that scientific studies involve assumptions and bias.  That's a truly bizarre basis for determining who is an "anti-sciencer" since it would include all of the authors of the IPCC study:lol:

If you now accept that scientific experiments, assumptions, and bias are part of science, then we have nothing further to discuss. You can go back to cackling with Raz over your delusion that I don't read his posts and I can go back to discussing the science of climate change with adults like Jake.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Ok Grumber.  Lets start with this nice bit of anti intellectual anti science tripe you spouted.

QuoteNo one (and by this i actually mean no one, as far as any of the publicly released literature goes) understands exactly what causes climate change, how much of what we are seeing in terms of climate change is due to human efforts, or how much an effective program to reduce the causes of climate change would cost.  No one.  Further, no one knows how effective various methods of reducing the impact of climate change would be, how much they would cost, or how to make either the prediction models or the amelioration models more accurate.

Actually the IPCC report knows quite a lot about both the human causes of climate change and futher a whole report was done analyzing (and costing) the various methods that might be used to reduce the our impact on climate change.  Further quite a lot of work has been done to make the models they use more accurate and precise.  In fact the degree of confidence in the model is now very high.

But of course one needs to ignore all of this science to make your point.

On the bright side you would make one hell of a commentator for Fox News.