Glaciers draining Antarctic basin destabilized, 4m level rise all but certain

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2014, 03:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Realistically speaking, what can we do?

Nothing.

When can we do it?

Now.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 11:37:01 AM
Pffft do you really want to live on the East Coast again?
I'd be ok with it if it was in the extreme southern portion of said coast. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 14, 2014, 11:36:57 AM
Kentucky is HIGH
Nigga please.  That's not high, even for Kentucky.  The highest point in Kentucky is Black Mountain @ 4,145 feet.

For my immediate area it is high, though.  The Ohio Valley at Louisville is normally at like 460 feet or something.  I live up in the hills above all the smog. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Scipio on May 14, 2014, 11:56:34 AM
Realistically speaking, what can we do?

A quick search shows a large number of websites which recommend ways you can reduce your carbon emissions.

Ocean levels that will rise over hundreds of years may not seem a pressing concern.  But if you look at the effect the acidification of the oceans is having right now, you might be a bit less dismissive.

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on May 14, 2014, 10:13:59 AM
I just checked and my house is 8m above sea level, so I'll probably need to keep polluting for a little while more.

Don't pollute too much; I'm at 6 m.   :(

( The highest point in the peninsular of Florida is about 90 m.  See Disney while you can; we're DOOMED!)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 14, 2014, 11:10:03 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 14, 2014, 10:16:13 AM
My house sits on a mountain top. For safety.

You seriously want us to believe it has nothing to do with mountain goats?

Yes. There's lovely deer here though. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on May 14, 2014, 12:31:54 PM
I live at 2200 meters.  Pollute away.

You'll just have to deal with refugees clogging traffic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 14, 2014, 12:12:44 PM

Ocean levels that will rise over hundreds of years may not seem a pressing concern.  But if you look at the effect the acidification of the oceans is having right now, you might be a bit less dismissive.

That's a huge worry of mine.
And I find it strange that normally intelligent posters dismiss the human component in climate change from the off.

garbon

Climate Central has this map that let's you look at the world with up to 10 feet increase in sea level. My apartment still isn't on the waterfront with that amount of increase.

http://sealevel.climatecentral.org/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Norgy on May 14, 2014, 01:04:07 PM
And I find it strange that normally intelligent posters dismiss the human component in climate change from the off.

It's political.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2014, 01:08:41 PM
Climate Central has this map that let's you look at the world with up to 10 feet increase in sea level. My apartment still isn't on the waterfront with that amount of increase.

http://sealevel.climatecentral.org/

Man.  Bummer about Galveston.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 14, 2014, 01:17:55 PM

It's political.

I will give the benefit of the doubt and think it has to do with lack of knowledge.  One thing that  had an impact on my view was the recent IPCC reports.  I am looking forward (if that is the right term in this context) to their report due in October which is to be a synthesis of all the scientific work to date.   We have Mongers to thank for bringing those reports (and others) to the attention of the forum :)

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 14, 2014, 12:12:44 PM

Robots are a more pressing concern.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 14, 2014, 01:53:36 PM
I will give the benefit of the doubt and think it has to do with lack of knowledge. 

I think it has little to do with lack of knowledge and more to do with lack of immediacy. There is no immediate personal impact, so political tribal declarations and attempts at internet cleverness is more important than gaining an understanding of the facts of the matter.