And we're back!

Main Menu

High school is still the same, and it sucks

Started by merithyn, April 09, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2014, 06:07:24 PM
The hive demands an 'A'.

The hive doesn't demand an A.  It demands an A in all 9 subjects that we took.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 06:05:57 PM
Some of the folks dated, of course, and they eventually got married.

Were they as big a losers as the ones who played sports?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 06:09:13 PM
The hive demands an 'A'.

It just makes it worse though.  They cannot give everybody an A so the harder everybody works the harder it is to get one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadImmortalMan

When he says "office job" it's like he's saying "NFL Draft".  :P

When I say "office job" I generally mean something more akin to stepping in a bear trap.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 06:12:09 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 06:05:57 PM
Some of the folks dated, of course, and they eventually got married.

Were they as big a losers as the ones who played sports?

None of the best students dated.  The folks who dated were students in the middle of the league, or losers. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 06:12:58 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 06:09:13 PM
The hive demands an 'A'.

It just makes it worse though.  They cannot give everybody an A so the harder everybody works the harder it is to get one.

Grades are given on a relative basis in HK.  For As, I think it is top 5% of students in that subject.  There is no objective standard.  If you are better than the other 95%, you get an A.  But even if everybody does well, only the top 5% get As. 

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 09, 2014, 06:14:35 PM
When he says "office job" it's like he's saying "NFL Draft".  :P

When I say "office job" I generally mean something more akin to stepping in a bear trap.

That's certainly not what I meant  :P

Valmy

See Riley?  You could be going to school in Hong Kong.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 06:17:04 PM
Grades are given on a relative basis in HK.  For As, I think it is top 5% of students in that subject.  There is no objective standard.  If you are better than the other 95%, you get an A.  But even if everybody does well, only the top 5% get As. 

That is what I was saying.  You guys were getting played man.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 06:19:05 PM

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 05:48:14 PM
Though generally I leave bitch-as-positive stuff to the ladies.

That's their word, not ours.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 06:19:05 PM

Why?  If the rule says you have to beat the other 95% of students, then that's what we should do.  It is doable.  I think that actually works better than if there are objective standards.  An A would be meaningless if half the students get it.  That system is what makes my As valuable.

Ideologue

It's a stupid game and the only way to win is not to play.  If 50% of students are objectively excellent but 45% of them wind up washing dishes, that's an indictment of the system.  Of course, I'm by no means under the impression that PRChina of having a system that isn't garbage and doomed to fail.  This is one reason why it will, incidentally; remember Jacob's article about underachieving elites?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2014, 05:39:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 05:22:40 PM
Damn I cannot imagine calling a girl a bitch or calling her a cocktease or a slut in High School nor any of my friends.  But then I cannot imagine doing that now so maybe that is just us.

I not only can imagine but also do call women bitches and sluts though not as a negative. :D

But that's what gay men are required to do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I just do not see how anything good could result from me using the term bitch or slut even as a compliment.