Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on October 16, 2014, 11:45:03 AM
He's a Timass, a particular subset of dumbass.

The kind that takes a comment that there'll be a vaccine imminently as confidence that the ones currently in the pipeline will work.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2014, 11:38:26 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 16, 2014, 11:36:46 AM
Plenty of treatments that have worked in monkeys fail in humans. It's not a done deal like you're implying.

:huh:

I am implying that it is now being tested and the people doing the testing are very hopeful.  Wait.  I am not actually implying that.  That is actually what I said.  Dumbass.

Dont be too hard on Tim, he is pretty emotionally invested in this outbreak, a vaccine woulb be devestating.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 16, 2014, 09:42:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2014, 09:55:33 PM
QuoteThe European Commission's humanitarian arm (ECHO) has been pushing for military medical intervention, its health adviser, Jorge Castilla-Echenique, told Reuters in Dakar in September.5

"The European Commission wants [US] Army and Seal protection teams to come here and produce an air bridge to keep the health workers and aid flowing. I'm talking about a MASH like operation," said Castilla-Echenique, referring to US mobile army surgical hospitals that can serve as fully functional health facilities.

:huh: How about your own guys?

They don't have that capability and no money to pay for one.

Nonsense.  Just have the European Commission and its staff forgo a month's wages and benefits, and then you have plenty of money.  With plenty of money, you have that capability. 

The EC should be talking about what it is going to do and the sacrifices it will make, rather than telling other people what sacrifices it would like them to make.

Now, I'd make exactly the same statement about the US Congress and administration, so don't think I am blaming just the EC.  But the EC's chutzpah is pretty high.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: sbr on October 16, 2014, 12:55:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2014, 11:38:26 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 16, 2014, 11:36:46 AM
Plenty of treatments that have worked in monkeys fail in humans. It's not a done deal like you're implying.

:huh:

I am implying that it is now being tested and the people doing the testing are very hopeful.  Wait.  I am not actually implying that.  That is actually what I said.  Dumbass.

Dont be too hard on Tim, he is pretty emotionally invested in this outbreak, a vaccine woulb be devestating.

Good point. His megathread could be devastated if the outbreak is curbed.

Ed Anger

A C-17 from Wright Patt is gonna deliver stuff to Liberia. WHIO channel 7 promptly lost its mind.

Hell, since that nurse brought her cooties into the state, all the local channels are acting a bit more fruity.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2014, 12:52:34 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 16, 2014, 11:45:03 AM
He's a Timass, a particular subset of dumbass.

The kind that takes a comment that there'll be a vaccine imminently as confidence that the ones currently in the pipeline will work.
:yes: How else could you take it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Anyways, those who say I'm "invested" in the outbreak with some kind of ghoulish relish can get fucked. I'm emotionally invested in the same way that anyone with a conscience is, fear and empathy for the people of West Africa.  Of course, since for most people here a conscience is a foreign concept, I can understand if there's been some confusion.

Getting back to the news.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ebola-safe-district-sierra-leone-26241774

QuoteEbola Comes to Last Safe District in Sierra Leone
FREETOWN, Sierra Leone — Oct 16, 2014, 2:30 PM ET
By CLARENCE ROY-MACAULAY and PAUL SCHEMM Associated Press

The deadly Ebola virus has infected two people in what was the last untouched district in Sierra Leone, the government said Thursday, a setback in efforts to stop the spread of the disease in one of the hardest-hit countries.

The Emergency Operations Center in its report covering Wednesday announced the two Ebola cases in the Koinadugu district, in Sierra Leone's far north, which had taken aggressive measures to keep the virus out of its mountainous territory since the outbreak early this year.

"It was the only place we are counting on where you can go and breathe a sigh of relief and to know that now in the whole country no district is safe, is heartrending," said John Caulker, the executive director of the nonprofit Fambul Tok, a group that worked on keeping Ebola out of the district.

"Now we will increase our activities in the district and take the necessary measures to make sure the area is safe and it does not spread," he told The Associated Press, noting it was just in a single chiefdom so far.

Ebola is rampant in the rest of the country, with 425 new cases just in the last week and a health care system that is struggling to deal with the onslaught of the disease. The World Health Organization said there have been more than 3,000 infections in Sierra Leone with nearly 1,200 deaths.

Last week, the Koinadugu district's health team received word of people dying in the village of Fakonya, some 60 miles over very rough terrain from the town of district center of Kabala, said Abdul Sesay, a local health official.

Some 15 people had died and then two of the six samples tested came back as positive for the virus — the deaths had originally been attributed to witchcraft, according to Sesay.

The town has now been isolated and nearby communities have been put under observation.

Momoh Konte, a businessman born in the district and educated in the United States who has been very active in protecting Koinadugu, told local press Thursday that the dead and their homes would be cremated to protect the living.

Under the system put in place by Konte and Caulker, movement in and out of the district was through a strict pass system and protective equipment and chlorine were brought in to stem the transmission of the disease.

The deadly Ebola virus is transmitted by bodily fluids and has hit hardest in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

Koinadugu survived infection free for so long in part because it cut itself off from infected areas, but the affected countries have been begging their neighbors and the international community to maintain ties and help them fight the disease, amid increased discussions of cutting off all contact.

Planes can't fly to the affected countries because they are afraid they will be refused landing elsewhere, said the African Union chair Nkosazana Zuma on Thursday and airlines that wanted to restart service couldn't.

Currently only Moroccan airlines and Brussels Air fly to all three countries.

Sierra Leone's Finance Minister Kaifalah Marah on Thursday warned that border closures and cutting flights were "killing our economies," describing the isolation as a de facto economic embargo.

Sierra Leone had growth rates of 9 percent before the outbreak.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2014, 07:30:43 PM
When Tim shows his baby teeth, I giggle.
Indeed.  "...since for most people here a conscience is a foreign concept" is one of the best lines yet.  It's only one step from CC telling us what we think or mongers telling us that we'd be remembered more fondly if we didn't point out his idiotic sayings.

Timmay is young, though.  He'll grow sharper teeth, given the passage of time (unless he gets "aged" by Dorsey).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

My post disappeared.  I'm assuming I deleted it by accident rather than it being removed by a mod

Anyway:

It'd be a lot more believable if he showed any inkling of concern for the plight of Africans before a cool disease showed up. Tetanus kills like 110 thousands Africans a year, but it's such a boring disease.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on October 16, 2014, 07:45:50 PM
My post disappeared.  I'm assuming I deleted it by accident rather than it being removed by a mod

Anyway:

It'd be a lot more believable if he showed any inkling of concern for the plight of Africans before a cool disease showed up. Tetanus kills like 110 thousands Africans a year, but it's such a boring disease.
Has Tetanus completely destroyed the healthcare infrastructure of three different countries, and is spreading in such a way that it is projected to rack up Black Death style death tolls? There's no comparison.

1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2014, 07:54:14 PM
That's the one carried by the Tetanus fly, right?
:P

Bacterial infection that is "famous" for giving you lockjaw. It also kills, and maternal and neonatal tetanus is the big killer in africa
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 16, 2014, 07:55:48 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 16, 2014, 07:45:50 PM

Anyway:

Has Tetanus completely destroyed the healthcare infrastructure of three different countries, and is spreading in such a way that it is projected to rack up Black Death style death tolls? There's no comparison.
you have a weird morbid fascination with the disease. I'm not the only one who thinks so. hell, the thread was renamed in your honour before mongers had a change of heart.

Is ebola dangerous? Yes, but the panic is causing just as much, if not more problems. here's a list of a few diseases that kill more people in Africa but get much less coverage.

http://answersafrica.com/diseases-in-africa.html