Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Liberia says it needs 80,000 more body bags for the next six months.
It really strikes home how terrible the situation is when the only thing that comes to mind when reading that is "how optimistic". :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/15/liberia-needs-79940-more-body-bags/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 15, 2014, 08:45:10 PM
when the only thing that comes to mind when reading that is "how optomistic". :(

That's not the only thing that comes to mind. Dombass.

11B4V

It really strikes home how terrible the situation is when the only thing that comes to mind when reading that is "how optomistic". :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/15/liberia-needs-79940-more-body-bags/

One C-17 ought to be able to air drop those.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on October 15, 2014, 08:47:54 PM
It really strikes home how terrible the situation is when the only thing that comes to mind when reading that is "how optomistic". :(

One C-17 ought to be able to air drop those.

Prefilled ones might require more planes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

KRonn

It's so sad. I can't imagine the fear and difficulty living in those countries now. We're worried about a handful of cases, stock market takes hits. Imagine what they're going through there with thousands of cases and deaths.  :(

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2014, 08:39:24 PM
LOL, Texas + Negroes Ebola = Panic

I am not sure what I find more amazing, this story or the fact that foreigners would actually apply to Navarro College.  Is it really a brain drain when barely being literate is sufficient for admission?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on October 15, 2014, 08:59:59 PM
I've never heard of Navarro College; they are probably better off.

It is a Junior College just a bit south from the Metroplex, they used to be one of my clients when I was working on UTs intrastate education network.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on October 15, 2014, 09:00:20 PM
It's so sad. I can't imagine the fear and difficulty living in those countries now. We're worried about a handful of cases, stock market takes hits. Imagine what they're going through there with thousands of cases and deaths.  :(

It is a disaster.  The UN needed to have gone into emergency mode six months ago.

jimmy olsen

Despite the tough talk, doesn't really look the world's mobilized yet.

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6151

QuoteLiu says she is exasperated at the slow, hands-off response. "Countries are approaching this with the mindset of going to war," she says. "Zero risk. Zero casualties."

Liu describes the current military efforts as the equivalent, in public health terms, of airstrikes without boots on the ground. Pledges of equipment and logistical support are helpful—"The military are the only body that can be deployed in the numbers needed now and that can organise things fast." But there is still a massive shortage of qualified and trained medical staff on the ground. "You need to send people not stuff and get hands on, not try to do this remotely," Liu says, "Local doctors have been extremely brave, but we are running out of staff and that is why we are asking for a major workforce to deploy."

Since the 9/11 attack on New York's twin towers, Western countries have developed military and civilian biohazard teams to protect their populations against a possible bioterrorist attack. Liu had hoped that these could be deployed to west Africa. "I think with the massive investment and knowing how much they are afraid of bioterrorism, they have some knowhow about highly contagious diseases."

MSF is not alone in thinking that what's needed in west Africa is the same level of Western military involvement that there would be in the event of a major bioterrorist attack on home soil.

The European Commission's humanitarian arm (ECHO) has been pushing for military medical intervention, its health adviser, Jorge Castilla-Echenique, told Reuters in Dakar in September.5

"The European Commission wants [US] Army and Seal protection teams to come here and produce an air bridge to keep the health workers and aid flowing. I'm talking about a MASH like operation," said Castilla-Echenique, referring to US mobile army surgical hospitals that can serve as fully functional health facilities.

"The problem with the military is that a treatment centre [50 beds] may cost €7m [£5.5m; $9m] over one year. But if it's done by the US military, it's going to cost €70m, because they are going to come with their own bubble so they won't get sick," he said.

MSF was ringing alarm bells in spring about the Ebola outbreak being out of control, but it took until August for WHO to recognise the scale of the threat and declare a "health emergency of international concern," a legal mechanism that flips switches in the international community so that funding and expertise are mobilised faster and protection measures are put in place.

"Every meeting where we've been trying to advise something, it's been a challenge," Liu says. "We had the feeling people didn't understand what we were talking about. They were just looking at the figures. When you look at the figures in absolute [compared with other diseases that kill many more people] people say 'why are we getting so excited?' But Ebola has completely killed the infrastructure of these countries. It is attacking the state and the health structures. We cannot afford to let that continue."

"I am running out of words to convey the sense of urgency. The despair is so huge and the indifference so incredible."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

QuoteThe European Commission's humanitarian arm (ECHO) has been pushing for military medical intervention, its health adviser, Jorge Castilla-Echenique, told Reuters in Dakar in September.5

"The European Commission wants [US] Army and Seal protection teams to come here and produce an air bridge to keep the health workers and aid flowing. I'm talking about a MASH like operation," said Castilla-Echenique, referring to US mobile army surgical hospitals that can serve as fully functional health facilities.

:huh: How about your own guys?

Valmy

European countries ignore the European Commission.  So they are hoping to have better luck with us.