Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

We have another Ebola scare at Hvidovre Hospital! Stay tuned for the next 4-6 hours while blood samples are being examined.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

:( :( :(

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/u-s-overly-confident-ebola-control/
QuoteIs the U.S. overly confident about Ebola control?
October 15, 2014 at 6:40 PM EDT

JUDY WOODRUFF: Finally and quickly, Laurie Garrett, any new information, any — what is your understanding right now of whether progress, there is a sense of progress being made in these West African countries that, of course, have a much worse problem at this point with Ebola?

LAURIE GARRETT: Well, Judy, of course, we all know the only way you are going to have 100 percent for America is to stop the epidemic at its source.

And there, unfortunately, we have some very bad news. Today, for the first time in WHO's situation — daily situation report assessing how things are moving along, they had to concede they had no data from Liberia. It's gotten so bad and so extensive that nobody really can even come up with numbers to put forward.

So the numbers you led with, roughly 9,000 cumulative cases and roughly approaching 5,000 deaths, everybody now admits these numbers are not even close to providing a reflection of reality, that it is almost certainly well over 22,000 cumulative cases at this point and approaching 15,000 or 16,000 deaths.

And as this keeps going out of control, it gets harder and harder to even have a glimpse of the reality of the size and scope of the problem.
So while we're very focused here in America on two cases, let's keep in mind safety for us is stopping something that is orders of magnitude bigger overseas.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2014, 09:55:33 PM
QuoteThe European Commission's humanitarian arm (ECHO) has been pushing for military medical intervention, its health adviser, Jorge Castilla-Echenique, told Reuters in Dakar in September.5

"The European Commission wants [US] Army and Seal protection teams to come here and produce an air bridge to keep the health workers and aid flowing. I'm talking about a MASH like operation," said Castilla-Echenique, referring to US mobile army surgical hospitals that can serve as fully functional health facilities.

:huh: How about your own guys?

They don't have that capability and no money to pay for one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on October 15, 2014, 08:47:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 15, 2014, 08:45:10 PM
Liberia says it needs 80,000 more body bags for the next six months.
It really strikes home how terrible the situation is when the only thing that comes to mind when reading that is "how optomistic". :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/15/liberia-needs-79940-more-body-bags/

One C-17 ought to be able to air drop those.

No shit.  And we could just mail them the vaccine once we have it.

But oh no let's send the 101st Airborne over there :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2014, 10:01:01 AM

I'm sure that'll help a lot in a few years.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2014, 08:06:46 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 15, 2014, 07:56:21 PM
Didn't he say he worked at this hospital? He's probably a bit busy.

Yeah, I don't think anything he said warrants giving him a hard time about, plus guys, he's actually doing stuff, important stuff to some people and probably the wider community.

Except the part where he said that US medical facilities have both the knowledge and supplies to avoid infection - the supplies perhaps but it turns out not near the training required.  And the part where he said that medical professionals in US hospitals can avoid infection better than in Africa. 

The infection rate in Africa for the Doctors without Borders medical professionals is a lot better than in the US atm.

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on October 16, 2014, 10:06:07 AM

Well, like I said before-- send over other stuff as well.  Just not people. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on October 16, 2014, 10:06:07 AM

Sooner than that.  Human trials on a vaccine developed in Canada has been fast tracked and started this week.  If it proves effective and safe it will be ready to ship by December.  The plan is to use it on health care professionals and family members of those infected first.  Then spread out from there.  The goal is to cut off Ebola from being able to spread and then move to a general vacination so that it can be eradicated.

It has proven 100% effective on monkeys.  Even those that had recently been infected.  So there is a lot of hope the vaccine will work.   The problem, of course, is that in the meantime the WHO is forecasting that as many as 10,000 people per week will become infected and that 70% of those will die.

jimmy olsen

Plenty of treatments that have worked in monkeys fail in humans. It's not a done deal like you're implying.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 16, 2014, 11:36:46 AM
Plenty of treatments that have worked in monkeys fail in humans. It's not a done deal like you're implying.

:huh:

I am implying that it is now being tested and the people doing the testing are very hopeful.  Wait.  I am not actually implying that.  That is actually what I said.  Dumbass.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2014, 11:38:26 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 16, 2014, 11:36:46 AM

:huh:

I am implying that it is now being tested and the people doing the testing are very hopeful.  Wait.  I am not actually implying that.  That is actually what I said.  Dumbass.

He's a Timass, a particular subset of dumbass.

derspiess

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 16, 2014, 09:42:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2014, 09:55:33 PM
QuoteThe European Commission's humanitarian arm (ECHO) has been pushing for military medical intervention, its health adviser, Jorge Castilla-Echenique, told Reuters in Dakar in September.5

"The European Commission wants [US] Army and Seal protection teams to come here and produce an air bridge to keep the health workers and aid flowing. I'm talking about a MASH like operation," said Castilla-Echenique, referring to US mobile army surgical hospitals that can serve as fully functional health facilities.

:huh: How about your own guys?

They don't have that capability and no money to pay for one.

If true that they don't have it and can't create such facilities, that is just very sad commentary.