Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 09, 2014, 09:19:30 PM
Hey now, I enjoy a round of golf.

Okay, I'm lying. I suck at it. Badly.
I used to play golf when I was a kid, because all the other kids did (we lived in a village with the furthest north golf course on the mainland). I hated it then.

I'll probably never enjoy it now I've Benjamin Buttoned it :(

Edit: Oh and on the Winter Olympics the BBC commentators today had to struggle with someone called Andreas Wank :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Putin visited the Austrian house in the Olympic village. Officially to see if all is fine for the athletes. Inofficially to visit Karl Schranz. He met Putin in 2001 in the Alps and is one of the closest advisers for Putin on the Sochi Olympics and one of the strongest proponents of the games to be held there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 09, 2014, 09:23:25 PM
Edit: Oh and on the Winter Olympics the BBC commentators today had to struggle with someone called Andreas Wank :lol:
:lol:
During the skijump event our commentator had this quote: "a thought now for my BBC colleague who I can only imagine to be struggling with how to present this German jumper"
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Are there any rules in short track? Didn't that American totally screw that Chinese fellow?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Liep on February 10, 2014, 05:03:45 AM
Are there any rules in short track? Didn't that American totally screw that Chinese fellow?

And the women short trackers don't have the overdimensioned thighs that their long track colleagues suffer from.

Grey Fox

Lots. Officials review after the race if you comitted any fouls & penalize you then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

I've always wondered that if the real goal is to beat the clock, why they'd shove a bunch of racers onto a narrow track at one time, and not have them skate separately.

Eddie Teach

The goal is to beat each other.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2014, 09:18:03 AM

I've always wondered that if the real goal is to beat the clock, why they'd shove a bunch of racers onto a narrow track at one time, and not have them skate separately.

They have that, it's long track.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2014, 09:54:12 AM
The goal is to beat each other.

That's the goal of every sport...but they don't put the figure skaters or lugers all out at one time.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2014, 10:01:58 AM

I'm just saying, that the way it is, there is no point in having a clock at all, and might be better called "short track skate blocking".  :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2014, 10:03:59 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2014, 10:01:58 AM

I'm just saying, that the way it is, there is no point in having a clock at all, and might be better called "short track skate blocking".  :P

That's fair but time does provide an element of comparison between past, present & future events.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 09, 2014, 05:04:49 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 09, 2014, 02:07:05 AM

Time for Olympic golf and bowling!

Is golf coming?

I don't think bowling is athletic enough to be a sport, and doesn't have the gravitas. The same reasons I don't think darts, croquet, and shuffleboard should be Olympic sports. I'd go on but I don't want to piss off BB.

:grr:

A sport needs gravitas?  How about throwing around 40 pound hunks of granite - that enough gravitas for you?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Curling is an awesome TV spectator sports.

Plus, hot chicks.