Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2014, 10:02:01 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2014, 09:54:12 AM
The goal is to beat each other.

That's the goal of every sport...but they don't put the figure skaters or lugers all out at one time.

And those events are considerably less interesting than short track speed skating.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I have to say that all those Sochi Fail tweets have set up an unreasonable expectation.  :(

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on February 10, 2014, 10:43:19 AM
I have to say that all those Sochi Fail tweets have set up an unreasonable expectation.  :(

I haven't checked the feed since Saturday morning. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I watched some of the downhill skiing.  They go really fast.  I admit, it was exciting to watch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Downhill skiing is a pure sport.  You start here, get to that line as fast as you can.

Also the wipeouts are great.

derspiess

I was looking through all-time medal counts on Wikipedia and East Germany is *still* listed as 10th even though they only competed in 6 Winter Olympics and haven't even existed since 1990.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Quote from: derspiess on February 10, 2014, 03:59:03 PM
I was looking through all-time medal counts on Wikipedia and East Germany is *still* listed as 10th even though they only competed in 6 Winter Olympics and haven't even existed since 1990.

Should probably just roll East/West Germany into Germany.

Now figuring out how to divide up the Soviet Union into their respective modern states would be a little trickier (not to mention that post-fall "Unified" team).

crazy canuck

Some very impressive moguls by the men - too bad we didnt sweep the podium but great performance by Bilodeau to repeat as Olympic champion.  Didnt get to see the short track gold - but I did hear it was his weakest event so hopefully two more gold for him to come.

DGuller

NBC Olympics streaming has got to be the clusterfuckiest clusterfuck I've ever come across on the web.  Finding the stream to something that isn't the 2010 men's hockey final game is damn near impossible, especially if you don't want to accidentally run across the spoilers.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

How do you follow those slalom events?  All I can make out is that you're supposed to hit the poles, but how do you tell a good pole hit from the one that automatically disqualifies you?

DGuller

Did Bob Costas just drink vodka on TV?  :blink:  And without a zakuska?  :blink: :blink:

katmai

Russkies have some hotties in woman's curling.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: DGuller on February 10, 2014, 09:14:15 PM
NBC Olympics streaming has got to be the clusterfuckiest clusterfuck I've ever come across on the web.  Finding the stream to something that isn't the 2010 men's hockey final game is damn near impossible, especially if you don't want to accidentally run across the spoilers.

I've had no problems watching things. Is it NBC or your cable company that is suckiest of the suck?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son