News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Black History Month 2014

Started by garbon, February 04, 2014, 06:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on February 07, 2014, 02:07:50 PM
garbon is free to tell you what he wants you to read or post.

And I am free to tell him that I'd rather he didn't.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2014, 02:06:48 PM
And I'd rather you didn't reply to me. :)

And I'd rather be sunning myself on a beach in Hawaii.  We don't always get what we'd rather.  :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Well, I do seem to recall that there weren't many black people to be seen when I was in Portland.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Even if they went into that location, they'd pull out in 2 years anyway.  Dropping a Trader Joe's into the middle of a low-income 'hood doesn't sound like a big moneymaker, no matter how many hipsters they're trying to get to move into the ghetto to raise the tax base.

I bet derweiß rolled his big ol' creepy ass cracker eyeballs at "non-oppressed populations", though.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2014, 06:32:53 PM
Even if they went into that location, they'd pull out in 2 years anyway.  Dropping a Trader Joe's into the middle of a low-income 'hood doesn't sound like a big moneymaker, no matter how many hipsters they're trying to get to move into the ghetto to raise the tax base.

I bet derweiß rolled his big ol' creepy ass cracker eyeballs at "non-oppressed populations", though.

Knowing little of the area, I'm actually wondering though if the people of that neighborhood aren't already being priced out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2014, 06:37:19 PM
Knowing little of the area, I'm actually wondering though if the people of that neighborhood aren't already being priced out.

From Whiteypedia:

QuoteAlberta Street has always been one of the main hubs of the Northeast area in Portland. The street was once the essence of the culture contained by the primarily urban and African-American community. Since the gentrification in the Northeast area, Alberta Street is the heart of an arts, restaurant, and shopping district approximately 20 blocks long. The area around Alberta is becoming very popular with yuppies as well as hipsters, bohemians, hippies and other groups associated with the counterculture.

So they're at least working on it.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2014, 06:45:20 PM
The street was once the essence of the culture contained by the primarily urban and African-American community.

What?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 08, 2014, 06:49:44 PM
:)

QuoteOnce the heart of Portland's African-African community, Northeast Portland is now actually only one-fourth black, down from 75 percent in 1990. According to reports, blacks represent only about 6 percent of the city's total population, numbering some 41,000 people. Thousands of African-Americans arrived in Portland during World War II to work in shipyards and the railroads. Also, according to PortlandPulse.org, unemployment among the city's black population has generally run twice as high as rates for whites and Asians.

They should move all the displaced black people in with you, then.  I'm sure you've got the room.  And, as an added bonus, you can ask Mr. Brown for some employment opportunities for them, what with his record of minority hires.   :lol:   :P  :yeah:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2014, 06:52:11 PM
The street was once the essence of the culture contained by the primarily urban and African-American community.

What?

Once upon a time, here there be blacks.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2014, 06:53:59 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2014, 06:52:11 PM

What?

Once upon a time, here there be blacks.

I got what the writer was trying to say, just confused as to why he chose this way to say it.  "The culture contained by the community??"

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2014, 06:53:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 08, 2014, 06:49:44 PM
:)

QuoteOnce the heart of Portland's African-African community, Northeast Portland is now actually only one-fourth black, down from 75 percent in 1990. According to reports, blacks represent only about 6 percent of the city's total population, numbering some 41,000 people. Thousands of African-Americans arrived in Portland during World War II to work in shipyards and the railroads. Also, according to PortlandPulse.org, unemployment among the city's black population has generally run twice as high as rates for whites and Asians.

They should move all the displaced black people in with you, then.  I'm sure you've got the room.  And, as an added bonus, you can ask Mr. Brown for some employment opportunities for them, what with his record of minority hires.   :lol:   :P  :yeah:

They'd be more comfortable on Cincy's west side, which is more "vibrant" than my part of town.