News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Black History Month 2014

Started by garbon, February 04, 2014, 06:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Yeah, Diversity does all kinds of wondrous things that for some reason just can't be quantified, gosh-darnit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I watched Roots and that very special episode of Mash with the cracker not wanting black blood.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2014, 11:05:42 AM
Yeah, Diversity does all kinds of wondrous things that for some reason just can't be quantified, gosh-darnit.

The anti-groupthink.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Like any other quality of life thing.

Living in an ethnically-diverse city is simply more interesting than living in a monoethnic city.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2014, 11:09:08 AM

Living in an ethnically-diverse city is simply more interesting than living in a monoethnic city.

Also better restaurants.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 07, 2014, 11:10:26 AM

Also better restaurants.

One of the main ways in which ethnically-diverse places are more interesting - that, and a variety in female eye-candy (or male, if one's tastes run in that direction) .  ;)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2014, 07:45:11 PM
Finally, your insistence the everyone should be like you, that your particular cultural proclivities should be emulated by all in your state, creates stronger us-vs-them dynamics in society than the letting everyone be themselves within a multicultural framework. Ironically, you insistence on unity creates division, while embracing diversity encourages unity.

Ironically, you are pursuing an exclusive definition of multiculturalism (that dismisses Viking's use by claiming that "Multi-culturalism has nothing to do with worrying about.... issues [such as Viking raises]") which is contrary to what most people think of as a basic tenet of multiculturalism:  the idea that many different ideas all have value.

And it is interesting that Viking, in posing a question, is read by you as "insist[ing] that everyone should be like [him]."  That's quite the intolerant, mono-cultural approach!  :lol:   
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2014, 09:24:27 PM
Of course, Viking seems tone deaf about race in America (despite having lived here), so not surprising that he takes the stance that he does.

You get a Gold Medal in the Ad Hom Competition.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2014, 11:22:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2014, 09:24:27 PM
Of course, Viking seems tone deaf about race in America (despite having lived here), so not surprising that he takes the stance that he does.

You get a Gold Medal in the Ad Hom Competition.  :cool:

Except it was accurate and relevant to Viking's contentions about race and how we should all just get over it. :)

Razgovory

If we banned the words "Ad" and "Straw" I think that Grumbler's posting output we be down by about half.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

grumbler

Well, that, and things like the Renaissance and Scientific Revolution, both of which were founded on knowledge newly gained from "others."  People from different backgrounds will think of different solutions to the same problem.  Sometimes, the solutions from 'them"  will be better than anything one of "us" would ever have thought of.

Bayraktar!