News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Black History Month 2014

Started by garbon, February 04, 2014, 06:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 11:38:09 AM
http://ideas.time.com/2014/02/28/spike-lees-racism-isnt-cute-m-f-hipster-is-the-new-honkey/

There was always going to be a price to be paid for integration.  The long term impact is going to be a death, or at least a dramatic shift, in a distinctive black culture in the US (of course, the same can be said for 'white culture' in the old segregation era sense).  It is going to take several generations but people like Lee who have the conservatism of old age are not going to be liking it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 11:48:33 AM
There was always going to be a price to be paid for integration.  The long term impact is going to be a death, or at least a dramatic shift, in a distinctive black culture in the US (of course, the same can be said for 'white culture' in the old segregation era sense).  It is going to take several generations but people like Lee who have the conservatism of old age are not going to be liking it.

We should take their music, and make it our own.

garbon

It's nearly over till next year. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

:console:

FWIW, it was a very nice month.

Razgovory

Only for a few hours for garbon to be black.  I hoped he lived it up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 11:42:03 PM
Only for a few hours for garbon to be black.  I hoped he lived it up.

How would you suggest one does that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Seedy surely has some suggestions.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 07, 2014, 02:49:17 PM
I cast my withering gaze at Tim.

He still hasn't melted yet
My right leg withered. :weep:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 11:48:33 AM
It's something the gays have had to deal with. It turns out they're overwhelmingly conservative and just wanted to get married, not sexual radicals who wanted to separatism and the overthrow of the patriarchy. Slowly as tolerance and integration increases gay culture will die, which'll be sad.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2014, 10:28:47 AM
Overwhelmingly?
Yeah. The number of gays for marriage and the 'integrative' route seems to hugely outweigh the old radicals.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Oh. Well I think the core is still in the whatevs. Not clinging to radical or rushingtowards marriage. Some anemic version of gay culture will continue to exist as long as there are gay bars. I could see those still continuing as it is easier to suss someone out than at a bar serving wider population.