I'm a centrist, he's not a bully
6 (19.4%)
I'm a righty, he's a bully.
4 (12.9%)
I'm a righty, he's not a bully.
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

The Minsky Moment

Joe McCarthy was a bully, a man who used the power of his office to intimidate, coerce, silence and ruin others.

Christie is just a fat guy from Jersey with a loud voice. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

I think the traffic thing could be seen that way too. But not the clips Yi posted.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 02, 2014, 11:32:51 PM
Joe McCarthy was a bully, a man who used the power of his office to intimidate, coerce, silence and ruin others.

Yeah, but he gave those commies what-fer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2014, 09:01:57 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 02, 2014, 11:32:51 PM

Yeah, but he gave those commies what-fer.

Were any actual Commie spies found by McCarthy?  I thought it was just leftwing Hollywood types and New Dealers.  I figured it was just revenge for all the hell the Roosevelt Administration gave the Isolationist Republican types during WWII-pretty much declaring them Fascist and Nazi sympathizers.  Turn-about is fair play and all that.

Anyway I don't think Christie is a bully.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2014, 09:09:41 AM
Interesting poll results.
guess the bully/no bully view comes down to whether you were bullied by a fat kid growing up :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2014, 09:15:50 AM
Were any actual Commie spies found by McCarthy?  I thought it was just leftwing Hollywood types and New Dealers.  I figured it was just revenge for all the hell the Roosevelt Administration gave the Isolationist Republican types during WWII-pretty much declaring them Fascist and Nazi sympathizers.  Turn-about is fair play and all that.

There were quite a few communists, sympathizers, and outright Soviet agents in various branches of government and throughout the entertainment industry.  This was well-known in some circles but most Americans seemed unaware.  In hindsight, McCarthy was probably too blunt an instrument for the job, but his heart was in the right place.

QuoteAnyway I don't think Christie is a bully.

I think he probably is, but in the context of New Jersey politics it's kind of a non-issue.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2014, 09:41:25 AM
There were quite a few communists, sympathizers, and outright Soviet agents in various branches of government and throughout the entertainment industry.  This was well-known in some circles but most Americans seemed unaware.  In hindsight, McCarthy was probably too blunt an instrument for the job, but his heart was in the right place.

How could they be unaware after the Rosenberg fiasco?  Anyway McCarthy pissed all over the US Constitution and achieved zilch in actually catching any spies.  But he was not really interested in going after actual Soviet Spies, this was about revenge on left wing Americans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Hey derspiess, random question...if the bengals win the super bowl, will you get a ring?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2014, 10:48:40 AM
How could they be unaware after the Rosenberg fiasco?

Good question-- you'd have to think people would be suspicious.  But the fact that McCarthy's Wheeling speech caused such a stir indicates that they were not.

QuoteAnyway McCarthy pissed all over the US Constitution and achieved zilch in actually catching any spies.

I did say he was a bit of a blunt instrument.  He did shine the light on a few rats, at least.

QuoteBut he was not really interested in going after actual Soviet Spies, this was about revenge on left wing Americans.

He had it in for a few Dems, that's for sure.  But I don't see anything to indicate he was an insincere anti-communist.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2014, 10:57:21 AM
Hey derspiess, random question...if the bengals win the super bowl, will you get a ring?

Maybe if I buy one, lol. 

My brother definitely would and he would've definitely earned it.  I'm just a part-time consultant/go-fer of sorts.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2014, 10:48:40 AM
How could they be unaware after the Rosenberg fiasco?

What was the Rosenberg fiasco?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2014, 09:41:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2014, 09:15:50 AM

QuoteAnyway I don't think Christie is a bully.

I think he probably is, but in the context of New Jersey politics it's kind of a non-issue.

Being a communist is not actually a crime.  Was he able to prove anyone was actually a soviet agent?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2014, 01:46:30 PM
Being a communist is not actually a crime.

Given the high correlation between CPUSA membership and Soviet spying, being a communist is a red flag (of sorts) that people should know about.  And it should definitely disqualify someone from a federal government position of any importance.

QuoteWas he able to prove anyone was actually a soviet agent?

Dunno, but he sure did out a bunch of communists.