I'm a centrist, he's not a bully
6 (19.4%)
I'm a righty, he's a bully.
4 (12.9%)
I'm a righty, he's not a bully.
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Jacob

I'll go on the record as having no opinion on Chris Christie being a bully.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2014, 11:47:45 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2014, 10:48:40 AM
How could they be unaware after the Rosenberg fiasco?

What was the Rosenberg fiasco?

People giving Nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union?  I figured that was a bit of a fiasco.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2014, 02:01:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2014, 01:46:30 PM
Being a communist is not actually a crime.

Given the high correlation between CPUSA membership and Soviet spying, being a communist is a red flag (of sorts) that people should know about.  And it should definitely disqualify someone from a federal government position of any importance.

QuoteWas he able to prove anyone was actually a soviet agent?

Dunno, but he sure did out a bunch of communists.

So despite all his talk about treason, you can't name any actual spies he outed?  Anyone he was able to prove actually committed treason?  Remember, his claims were that communist agents in the government were handing the communists victories, most notably in China.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2014, 02:06:36 PM
People giving Nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union?  I figured that was a bit of a fiasco.

Ah.  I guess we just have different definitions of "fiasco."  Not all espionage cases are fiascos to me, and certainly Rosenberg was not the only, nor was he by any means the most important, figure passing atomic secrets to the Soviets.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2014, 02:15:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2014, 02:06:36 PM

Ah.  I guess we just have different definitions of "fiasco."  Not all espionage cases are fiascos to me, and certainly Rosenberg was not the only, nor was he by any means the most important, figure passing atomic secrets to the Soviets.

Well whatever it was it definitely brought the issue to public attention.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2014, 02:09:47 PM
So despite all his talk about treason, you can't name any actual spies he outed?  Anyone he was able to prove actually committed treason?  Remember, his claims were that communist agents in the government were handing the communists victories, most notably in China.

Is this one of those Razz tricks where I answer the question and then you change your criteria from "actual spy" to "convicted spy"?  Anyway, I believe the Venona transcripts corroborated some of the people on his list. 

But even with zero evidence of espionage, communists in sensitive federal agencies represented a security risk in that day & age and it was well worth the effort to identify them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2014, 02:24:16 PM
But even with zero evidence of espionage, communists in sensitive federal agencies represented a security risk in that day & age and it was well worth the effort to identify them.

As well as efforts to uncover homosexuals as they represented a security risk by virtue of blackmail of their identities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2014, 02:26:40 PM
As well as efforts to uncover homosexuals as they represented a security risk by virtue of blackmail of their identities.

Okay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

I shouldn't be surprised that derspiess thinks favourably of McCarthyism; but somehow I still am.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2014, 02:29:01 PM
I shouldn't be surprised that derspiess thinks favourably of McCarthyism; but somehow I still am.

It had its excesses, but something had to be done.  Meanwhile, your Cultural Marxism never surprises me :hug:

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2014, 02:06:23 PM
I'll go on the record as having no opinion on Chris Christie being a bully.

After he beat me up and stole my lunch money, I voted "yes".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2014, 02:35:59 PM

It had its excesses, but something had to be done.  Meanwhile, your Cultural Marxism never surprises me :hug:

Something with no tangible positive results that violates the basics of the Bill of Rights does not have to be done.  I know that seems to be a difficult concept for our politicians to swallow.

Anyway what is cultural Marxism?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2014, 02:17:49 PM
Well whatever it was it definitely brought the issue to public attention.

I'd say it was the execution of the Rosenbergs that made the headlines.  Klaus Fuchs gave away more important secrets for a longer period of time, and this didn't seem all that traumatic to the public.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2014, 02:44:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2014, 02:35:59 PM

Something with no tangible positive results that violates the basics of the Bill of Rights does not have to be done.  I know that seems to be a difficult concept for our politicians to swallow.

Anyway what is cultural Marxism?

A "cultural" Marxist is just like a real Marxist, only without the Marxism.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius