Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 09:08:14 PM
How does that make noise?

I don't think it does.

The loud Engine breaking that is usually outlawed is on Diesel engines.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

11B4V

Quote from: Iormlund on January 16, 2014, 07:22:11 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 16, 2014, 09:37:58 AM... engine braking is a helpful offset, although it is fucking loud, as has been mentioned ...

Engine braking on your average car is not loud at all.

Thanks Captain Obvious. That's why the vid show a semi. To show how load an engine break can be and why the signs are posted. Yi was asking about why the signs are posted.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: fhdz on January 16, 2014, 09:14:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 09:08:14 PM
How does that make noise?

Higher RPMs, maybe? Not sure.

The exhaust system of the semi makes it really load. They are what is called a near straight pipe exhaust.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 09:23:35 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 16, 2014, 09:37:58 AM... engine braking is a helpful offset, although it is fucking loud, as has been mentioned ...

Thanks Captain Obvious. That's why the vid show a semi. To show how load an engine break can be and why the signs are posted. Yi was asking about why the signs are posted.
I suggest following the discussion.  The context that it can provide can be quite useful at times.  :)

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2014, 09:31:04 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 09:23:35 PM

I suggest following the discussion.  The context that it can provide can be quite useful at times.  :)

I did.

11B4V

Admiral Yi

You're acting as if you're unaware of post #324 in this thread.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 09:45:47 PM
He really does.  :(

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2014, 09:47:57 PM

Nope, I saw it. But Yi's question was in regards to the signs, which do not apply to cars, but to semi's.

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 09:51:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2014, 09:47:57 PM

Nope, I saw it. But Yi's question was in regards to the signs, which do not apply to cars, but to semi's.
But Iorm was responding to fhgksj;lksfd, who was clearly talking about passenger cars, not Yi.

11B4V

QuoteSpeaking of engine braking, anyone know the reason for the "Trucks No Engine Braking" signs you sometimes see on the highway?

and Yi asked a specific question and was provided a specific example.

Admiral Yi

The one you're missing then is 313.  Fah and Iorm were having a separate conversation about engine braking of cars.  Mine, about semis, branched off of that.