Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

11B4V

I was going to bring up the single, double, and triple chamber mufflers, but whats the use. Hell, cant even get people to read the owners manual.   :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: fhdz on January 16, 2014, 09:14:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 09:08:14 PM
How does that make noise?

Higher RPMs, maybe? Not sure.

Jacobs brake
QuoteThe Jake Brake works by releasing the stored compressed air before it can have a chance to spring back the piston.  Basically, an extra nob, or lobe, is added to the camshaft that opens an added exhaust valve, which then releases all of the stored compressed energy out into the atmosphere, assuming the compression brake was engaged. When the compression brake is not engaged, the mechanism controlling the valve allows it to stay closed, even though the camshaft is still turning (using a telescoping stem that can be locked or unlocked).  The energy required to compress the air, which is then released before it can be used to help slightly power the down-stroke, then has the effect of slowing the vehicle down as the air is compressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwsmqPXYvs
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

:mellow:

Dude, they're talking about engine braking a car, not a semi.

sbr

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 10:19:21 PM
:mellow:

Dude, they're talking about engine braking a car, not a semi.

Exactly.

Engine breaking on a car is done by down shifting the trans, hence raising the RPM and the loudness depends on your type of exhaust.

see the first sentence of post 347, which cooresponds to post 328, then 326.

11B4V

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 10:05:45 PM
I was going to bring up the single, double, and triple chamber mufflers, but whats the use. Hell, cant even get people to read the owners manual.   :P
Yeah, you're a real stickler about reading things carefully.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2014, 10:30:42 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 10:05:45 PM
Yeah, you're a real stickler about reading things carefully.

I read the owners manual. Also have a chilton or haynes manual for each vehicle.

Ed Anger

I read the sticker in the window of the car.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 16, 2014, 10:44:17 PM
I read the sticker in the window of the car.

That monroney sticker has a lot of info.  ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 09:51:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2014, 09:47:57 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2014, 09:45:47 PM
You're acting as if you're unaware of post #324 in this thread.
He really does.  :(

Nope, I saw it. But Yi's question was in regards to the signs, which do not apply to cars, but to semi's.

We need signs for apostrophe abuse.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 10:35:48 PM
I read the owners manual. Also have a chilton or haynes manual for each vehicle.

Chilton books rock.  And hey, they're at public libraries for those too cheap to fucking buy them.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 16, 2014, 10:54:05 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 10:35:48 PM

Chilton books rock.  And hey, they're at public libraries for those too cheap to fucking buy them.

:yes: