News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2014, 09:11:36 PM
This entire thread is a microcosm of Languish.  It needs to be dipped in bronze and placed on the mantle for all to see, forever and ever.

:D No shit.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: sbr on January 18, 2014, 08:39:20 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 18, 2014, 07:01:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2014, 04:46:03 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 17, 2014, 08:36:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2014, 12:07:00 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on January 17, 2014, 10:18:36 AM
BTW, any car can engine brake, manual trans are better for it, but auto trans works too. I have come down a mountain trail without ever touching the brakes, 4 low and low gear all the way down.

There is a confusion of terminology.  Earlier there was a question about signs which ban "engine brakes".  That is really a ban on Jake Brakes.  It is true that gearing down a transmission is a form of engine braking but it is not the type of braking which is banned.

I understand that there's a semantic issue. My post(s) had nothing to do with what was banned, but rather what was loud.

Jake breaks are loud and so are banned.  Gearing down our using a lower gear down a hill is not necessarily loud and so is not banned.

I'm not sure how many different ways there are for me to say that I don't care about what's banned or not banned. You're having an argument with some other person. Pro tip: it isn't me.

:huh:  Normal engine braking is just loud, not banned.

:D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 18, 2014, 09:17:13 PM
This entire thread is a microcosm of Languish.  It needs to be dipped in bronze and placed on the mantle for all to see, forever and ever.

it's amazing some survive when they go outside.

They won't be able to hear a Chevy Impala's banned drum brakes or something.

PDH

I downshifted today from the 45 zone to the 30 zone.  I checked for cops.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on January 18, 2014, 09:23:07 PM

We heard you all the way over here.

fhdz

Quote from: PDH on January 18, 2014, 09:23:07 PM

From what I understand, downshifting isn't banned.

Ed Anger

Quote from: fhdz on January 18, 2014, 09:19:34 PM

:D No shit.

A big 'ol Assburger shitburger
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

Quote from: 11B4V on January 18, 2014, 09:51:04 PM
It's acutually quite funny.

So funny it is just loud, or so funny it's banned?

11B4V

Quote from: fhdz on January 18, 2014, 09:52:32 PM

Depends on the local ordinances
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

Quote from: 11B4V on January 18, 2014, 09:54:26 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 18, 2014, 09:52:32 PM

Depends on the local ordinances

God, isn't that the truth? Fucking ordinances.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on January 18, 2014, 09:17:13 PM

it's amazing some survive when they go outside.
I am still alive  :P

DontSayBanana

I love how certain people here seem to have completely ignored the information given about how a jake brake and downshifting are totally different beasts.

Downshift engine braking is not loud, unless you're dropping to way too low a gear.  All that happens is the engine revs high for a second or two.  It's the same sound as a typical cop's Crown Vic revving up to chase someone, and that's only for a really drastic drop in gearing and speed.  A drop from, say, 55 to 43 (5th to 4th gear on my V6) isn't significantly audible at all.

Jake braking is only loud because it forcibly vents extra exhaust.  As one link in this very thread put it, it basically turns a power-producing diesel engine into a power-consuming air compressor, and I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread would debate that even a small air compressor is pretty damn loud.
Experience bij!