News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 10:05:45 PM
I was going to bring up the single, double, and triple chamber mufflers, but whats the use. Hell, cant even get people to read the owners manual.   :P

lol, Ocean City PD used to wait at the bridge for the motorheads when they rolled in for Cycle Week.  Did the old night stick test on the baffles in the straight pipes:  if the night stick got to a certain point in the pipes YOU SHALL NOT PASS

Capetan Mihali

Recently I've had to direct prospective clients to the physical Kelly Blue Books in the library (I hope), to help them get a realistic idea of what their vehicle assets are worth once car loans are taken into account....
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 16, 2014, 10:54:05 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 10:35:48 PM
I read the owners manual. Also have a chilton or haynes manual for each vehicle.

Chilton books rock.  And hey, they're at public libraries for those too cheap to fucking buy them.

I love Chilton. Taught myself how to change oil and replace brakes years ago from one.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 10:24:44 PM
Engine breaking on a car is done by down shifting the trans, hence raising the RPM and the loudness depends on your type of exhaust.

So to confirm: this is basically what I said, correct? Sports cars with crazy-ass mufflers/fatty exhaust pipes are really loud when they engine-brake.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fhdz on January 17, 2014, 12:26:08 AM
So to confirm: this is basically what I said, correct? Sports cars with crazy-ass mufflers/fatty exhaust pipes are really loud when they engine-brake.

No, Jake brakes are only found in semis.

Monoriu

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 17, 2014, 12:01:44 AM
Recently I've had to direct prospective clients to the physical Kelly Blue Books in the library (I hope), to help them get a realistic idea of what their vehicle assets are worth once car loans are taken into account....

I don't understand. 

fhdz

Well, this has been both interesting and productive! Thanks, Languish!

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2014, 12:28:52 AM

essentially
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: fhdz on January 17, 2014, 12:24:35 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 16, 2014, 10:54:05 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2014, 10:35:48 PM
I read the owners manual. Also have a chilton or haynes manual for each vehicle.

Chilton books rock.  And hey, they're at public libraries for those too cheap to fucking buy them.

I love Chilton. Taught myself how to change oil and replace brakes years ago from one.

Thay are very good. In combo with a good youtube how-to.......even better.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

Dude I learned Java programming on youtube.

But I did also learn to fix my cars and my mom's cars from Chilton.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fhdz

Quote from: 11B4V on January 17, 2014, 02:01:14 AM

essentially

OK, so: those really souped-up cars which are loud while they're slowing down are just loud because of higher RPMs, not because they're engine braking. Is that what I'm to take away from this?

crazy canuck

Quote from: fhdz on January 17, 2014, 09:43:07 AM

essentially

OK, so: those really souped-up cars which are loud while they're slowing down are just loud because of higher RPMs, not because they're engine braking. Is that what I'm to take away from this?

Those souped up cars are really loud while slowing down because their drivers like to show off.  It is possible for them to gear down without making a lot of noise but that removes the "look at me" factor.

lustindarkness

essentially

Engine braking is loud, so if the "ricer" is loud to begin with, I guess it makes it even louder?

BTW, any car can engine brake, manual trans are better for it, but auto trans works too. I have come down a mountain trail without ever touching the brakes, 4 low and low gear all the way down.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 17, 2014, 10:18:36 AM
BTW, any car can engine brake, manual trans are better for it, but auto trans works too. I have come down a mountain trail without ever touching the brakes, 4 low and low gear all the way down.

There is a confusion of terminology.  Earlier there was a question about signs which ban "engine brakes".  That is really a ban on Jake Brakes.  It is true that gearing down a transmission is a form of engine braking but it is not the type of braking which is banned.

11B4V

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 17, 2014, 10:18:36 AM

essentially

:D My '84 Dodge has a granny low. Put it in four low and it just creeps along.