And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: PDH on January 15, 2014, 08:21:59 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 15, 2014, 09:59:43 AM
All of the "manual is better than automatic" arguments which are actually quantifiable - like fuel inefficiency, transmission wear, and so on - have been rendered obsolete by improvements in automatic transmissions.

The only arguments left for refusing to drive an automatic in the United States, where automatic transmissions are very common, are emotional arguments. Which is fine; if that's what you feel like you want to do because it satisfies you in some non-quantifiable way, then go for it.

Brake wear is still higher in automatic transmissions, also as mentioned long descents are far better in a manual.  On snow-pack or ice I will always prefer a manual.

Also, mechanical losses are higher in automatics.

In any case, the old auto vs manual discussion is irrelevant since the arrival of sequential double-clutch transmissions, where you get the best of both worlds.

Monoriu

I want a car with no gear box.  I step on the brake, switch on the engine, and it goes into forward mode.  I push a button, and it goes into reverse.  Press the button again, and it goes back to forward. 

Grey Fox

How is that different from your auto? Other than it's not a button?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 16, 2014, 08:44:53 AM
How is that different from your auto? Other than it's not a button?

I have P, R, N, D, D3, 2 and L.  I have a gear box.  I need to change the gear box oil.  I need to move my arm to go into reverse.  That's far too much work.  I just want a button for reverse on the wheel.  That's it.  Nothing else.  Not even P. 

Grey Fox

Monoriu

Grey Fox

That's good question. Why do you have a car in HK?

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 16, 2014, 08:53:36 AM

Because my wife insists in getting one :weep:  I prefer to take taxis everywhere.  Similar effect, much cheaper. 

Monoriu

While we're at it, my dream car will be one without any controls.  Just input the GPS destination coordinates.  The car takes me there automatically, and wakes me up when it gets there. 

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on January 16, 2014, 08:54:58 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 16, 2014, 08:53:36 AM

Because my wife insists in getting one :weep:  I prefer to take taxis everywhere.  Similar effect, much cheaper.

Same question, wife perspective? Status?

Quote from: Monoriu on January 16, 2014, 08:58:10 AM
While we're at it, my dream car will be one without any controls.  Just input the GPS destination coordinates.  The car takes me there automatically, and wakes me up when it gets there. 

Now, that's something I can get behind. Google Car  :cool:

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 16, 2014, 09:09:26 AM

Same question, wife perspective? Status?

She wants a BMW.  I negotiated it down to Honda. 

fhdz

Quote from: PDH on January 15, 2014, 08:21:59 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 15, 2014, 09:59:43 AM
All of the "manual is better than automatic" arguments which are actually quantifiable - like fuel inefficiency, transmission wear, and so on - have been rendered obsolete by improvements in automatic transmissions.

The only arguments left for refusing to drive an automatic in the United States, where automatic transmissions are very common, are emotional arguments. Which is fine; if that's what you feel like you want to do because it satisfies you in some non-quantifiable way, then go for it.

Brake wear is still higher in automatic transmissions, also as mentioned long descents are far better in a manual.  On snow-pack or ice I will always prefer a manual.

I'll give you brake wear (engine braking is a helpful offset, although it is fucking loud, as has been mentioned) and snow-pack, with the caveat that if I'm having to stop and start up a hill even if there's the littlest bit of snow I'll take an automatic any day.
and the horse you rode in on

PDH

If the hill is steep enough and you come to a full stop on ice or snow-pack, you better have chains, kitty litter, or time to wait til spring.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM