And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2014, 12:42:46 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2014, 10:35:10 AM
but....I hope when I have kids I won't have to have a car so this won't be necessary.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lmfao:
:huh:
What's wrong with hoping I have a good enough job that I don't need a car by the time I have a family?
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on January 15, 2014, 09:50:32 AM

But you probably paid through the nose, and there are parts of Europe you can't be sure one is available. And many parts of the world you can be sure one isn't available.

I have driven a car in Europe exactly once in my life (for like a bit more than a week), and I probably won't do it very often in the future.  I am not going to spend the time and money to learn *and* maintain a skill that is otherwise useless.  I find it troublesome enough to have to choose among P, R and D already.  I'm going to absolutely hate manual transmission. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2014, 10:25:44 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 14, 2014, 12:42:46 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2014, 10:35:10 AM
but....I hope when I have kids I won't have to have a car so this won't be necessary.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lmfao:
What's wrong with hoping I have a good enough job that I don't need a car by the time I have a family?

You are going to need a car regardless of your job status or income.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2014, 10:27:38 AM

Loads of people don't have cars.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2014, 10:29:57 AM

with small children?

Just be clear, there is difference between not owning a car but using car share services vs not having a license. I'm reading your statement has a no license proclamation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2014, 10:25:44 AM

I don't understand. Why would having a good job not necessitate a car?

If you have kids, the desire (if not need) for car transport multiplies. Daycare, visits to the doctor, buying supplies, visits to various grandparents, taking the kid to various events, etc. etc.

It is a lot easier for a single guy to get around by bike and public transport. Doing so with a young kid (let alone two or three!) in tow gets old fast.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

It depends.  In places like HK or Tokyo, it really isn't necessary to have a car. 

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2014, 10:30:36 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2014, 10:29:57 AM

with small children?

Just be clear, there is difference between not owning a car but using car share services vs not having a license. I'm reading your statement has a no license proclamation.

I guess he plans to live in The Other City (London).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

QuoteI don't understand. Why would having a good job not necessitate a car?

If you have a good job then you can live somewhere a car is an optional luxury rather than a necessity (thinking of a truly good job that ticks all the boxes here, not a job that is otherwise good but in the middle of nowhere).

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2014, 10:30:36 AM

with small children?

I have a license.
And yes, lots of people with kids don't have cars. I recall reading car ownership peaked in the 90s.
Kids were totally irrelevant to my statement really. The opening post however talked of teaching stuff to your kids so I said I hope I have my shit enough in order that I don't need a car by the time I have to worry about spawn.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 15, 2014, 10:34:19 AM

It depends.  In places like HK or Tokyo, it really isn't necessary to have a car.

His post was specific to raising a family.

Raising a family in the middle of a huge city where having a car isn't all that practical unless you are wealthy would I think be very tough. Doable of course, but not easy.

One thing non-parents don't realize is how often young children create emergencies requiring rapid transport - Have more than one kid, and your difficulties would more than double, I think.

I can't imagine trying to corral a kid who is walking (but not yet knowlegable enough to be totally obedient) through the crowded steets and subways of a place like downtown London or New York. That would be a serious ordeal.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on January 15, 2014, 10:44:17 AM

I can't imagine trying to corral a kid who is walking (but not yet knowlegable enough to be totally obedient) through the crowded steets and subways of a place like downtown London or New York. That would be a serious ordeal.

Taxi.

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2014, 10:43:26 AM
And yes, lots of people with kids don't have cars. I recall reading car ownership peaked in the 90s.

Heh. Just because lots of people do it, doesn't mean it is easy. Being a parent is tough enough, without limiting yourself to walking and public transport. 

The Brain

I am shocked that he wants his kids to be known as weirdos.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 15, 2014, 10:45:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 15, 2014, 10:44:17 AM

Taxi.

Difficult with young children here. By law, you are supposed to be using installed child carriers for toddlers, and taxis don't come with them. It takes a while to install your own and adjust it properly.