News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on January 14, 2014, 09:27:03 PM
I am curious.  How much does it cost in your area to send the car to the meahanic for routine maintenance, like changing the oil, changing the filter (whatever it is, I have no idea), doing whatever they need to do to the tires etc? 

For me it is around US$200-$300, parts and labour included.  That's the price that I pay every 6 months.

Eeeeegad! What type car?

You could go to jiffy lube for a 1/4 of that price.

Me changing the oil in the Neon;

5 quarts Mobile 1 5w20 synthetic  35.00-40.00

1 oil filter 5.00-6.00

Done in 20 minutes

Tip for changing the oil filter guys: Fill your filter prior to spinning it on. Also coat the rubber gasket on the filter with a light coat of oil.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 09:40:03 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 14, 2014, 09:27:03 PM
I am curious.  How much does it cost in your area to send the car to the meahanic for routine maintenance, like changing the oil, changing the filter (whatever it is, I have no idea), doing whatever they need to do to the tires etc? 

For me it is around US$200-$300, parts and labour included.  That's the price that I pay every 6 months.

Eeeeegad! What type car?

You could go to jiffy lube for a 1/4 of that price.

Me changing the oil in the Neon;

5 quarts Mobile 1 5w20 synthetic  35.00-40.00

1 oil filter 5.00-6.00

Done in 20 minutes

Tip for changing the oil filter guys: Fill your filter prior to spinning it on. Also coat the rubber gasket on the filter with a light coat of oil.

I always suspect that those guys are overcharging me :angry:

My car is a crappy Honda Accord. 

I happen to have the invoice with me.  Let's see.

Synthetic oil, 5 litre.  US$77

Gear box oil, 4 litre. US$72

Oil filter. US$12

Labour for changing all of the above, plus cleaning the air-conditioning and all the dirty spots all over the car: US$26

Check the "spark plugs" (whatever it is), clean the air ducts, check and clear the exhaust, check the accelerator, replace the air filter, replace the air-conditioning filter, check the electronics: US$64

Air filter replacement: US$31

Air conditioner filter replacement: US$41

Check the brake, adjust the hand brake, replace the "brake powder" (whatever that is): US$26

Total US$348

Damn.  I need to find someone cheaper. 

11B4V

You have a whole lot going on than just a oil change, so they arent ripping you off. Though you could save some dough if you wanted to.

Quotereplace the "brake powder" (whatever that is)
:huh: Fluid?

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

LOL, braking powder.  It's used to make a chocorate cake.

Monoriu

Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 09:57:14 PM
You have a whole lot going on than just a oil change, so they arent ripping you off. Though you could save some dough if you wanted to.

Well, I am translating from the Chinese invoice.  It says "brake powder". 

Yeah, when I say "maintenance", I mean the whole package, not just the oil change. 

In addition to being expensive, those guys are lazy.  I think they only do the whole list once a year.  The other time, they only do half the stuff on that list.  I only see the 5 litre oil item but not the 4 litre gear box oil item on the cheaper invoice.  Is that ok?  Should I insist that they change the gear box oil (whatever that is) every 6 months too?  :unsure:

One more problem I have is that I have absolutely no tools of any kind.  The only thing I have is a screw driver, which somehow doesn't even work on many kinds of screws. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2014, 07:18:48 PM
For the majority of people, their car is their most expensive investment and the most valuable possession.  It's only common sense to at least read the fucking owner's manual that comes with it in the glove compartment.

:yes: Doesn't take as long as you'd think, either.  The night I brought home my new truck last month, I sat in the car for about half an hour and read the manual cover to cover.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2014, 10:05:14 PM
LOL, braking powder.  It's used to make a chocorate cake.

Searched the web a bit.  I think the "powder" should be referring to some kind of residual (it is the same word in Chinese).  The meahanic took out all four tires to check the brake, cleared the residual (dunno what it is), then put all the tires back.

Monoriu

BTW, I use my car very often.  It was new when I bought it.  After 5 years, there are already 25,000 km on it.  Is it ok to change the oil every 6 months and the gear box oil every 12 months?  Do I need to increase the frequency due to heavy usage?

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 07:52:41 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 14, 2014, 07:48:31 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 07:42:21 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 14, 2014, 07:37:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2014, 07:30:49 PM
Shut up.

Even if what you say is true, say, the car is my most valuable investment.  In that case, it makes sense to send it to the mechanic.

and do preventive maintenance that is listed in THE OWNERS MANUAL

I do preventive maintenance.  By sending the car to the mechanic every 6 months.

Makes a lot of money sense there. :rolleyes: Let me Garbonize that for you.

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on January 14, 2014, 10:10:36 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 09:57:14 PM

Well, I am translating from the Chinese invoice.  It says "brake powder". 

Yeah, when I say "maintenance", I mean the whole package, not just the oil change. 

In addition to being expensive, those guys are lazy.  I think they only do the whole list once a year.  The other time, they only do half the stuff on that list.  I only see the 5 litre oil item but not the 4 litre gear box oil item on the cheaper invoice.  Is that ok?  Should I insist that they change the gear box oil (whatever that is) every 6 months too?  :unsure:

Manual transmission fluid usually doesnt get change every 50k-60,000 miles. Why so long..it not subjected to combustion waste like engine oil is. Check your owners manual for your particular vehicle it will tell you the interval.

QuoteOne more problem I have is that I have absolutely no tools of any kind.  The only thing I have is a screw driver, which somehow doesn't even work on many kinds of screws.

A basic set for the preventative shit would run 50 bucks or so.

You wouldnt need an engine hoist, transmission jack, timing light, torque wrenchs...but I do for the work I'm capable of.

I have two engines on stands in the garage besides the old engine I yanked out of the R/T.

This year the engine a 360 ci (5.8 liter for you backwords folks) for the R/T gets rebuilt. I already yanked the drivetrain last year. I dont know if I will do the short block or have a shop do it. Depends on my free time.

The truck engine is slated for 2015.

"Some" of the things I do for fun.  ;)

One must keep his extra parts organized. Notice the cylinder heads... :P

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2014, 10:29:06 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 07:52:41 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 14, 2014, 07:48:31 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 07:42:21 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 14, 2014, 07:37:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2014, 07:30:49 PM
Shut up.

Even if what you say is true, say, the car is my most valuable investment.  In that case, it makes sense to send it to the mechanic.

and do preventive maintenance that is listed in THE OWNERS MANUAL

I do preventive maintenance.  By sending the car to the mechanic every 6 months.

Makes a lot of money sense there. :rolleyes: Let me Garbonize that for you.

:huh:

Cheer up, your famous.... :P

garbon

I wasn't sure what you are calling Garbonizing. Putting words in bold? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

My garage is full of power wheels and kids bikes. And my Challenger, all wrapped up for the winter. My baby ain't going out in the ice and snow. No sir!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2014, 10:44:24 PM
I wasn't sure what you are calling Garbonizing. Putting words in bold? :unsure:

The roll eyes....nothing but love brother.  :)