News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2014, 10:45:16 PM
My garage is full of power wheels and kids bikes. And my Challenger, all wrapped up for the winter. My baby ain't going out in the ice and snow. No sir!
:thumbsup:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 10:46:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2014, 10:44:24 PM
I wasn't sure what you are calling Garbonizing. Putting words in bold? :unsure:

The roll eyes....nothing but love brother.  :)

Oh but, darling, I already have a smiley.

Float your cursor over this one: :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

I don't think you guys understand.  I don't have a garage.  My car is parked in an indoor car park.  Like a car park in a shopping centre.  There is somebody else's car on my left, another on my right, and yet another one behind my car.  I cannot even open the door fully without hitting another car.  There is no space for me to do anything. 

BTW, those cars parked next to me are all BMWs, Mercedezs, Porshes's, Rolls Royces, etc.  I really don't want to damage them  :ph34r:

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2014, 10:48:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2014, 10:46:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2014, 10:44:24 PM
I wasn't sure what you are calling Garbonizing. Putting words in bold? :unsure:

The roll eyes....nothing but love brother.  :)

Oh but, darling, I already have a smiley.

Float your cursor over this one: :mellow:

My bad.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on January 14, 2014, 10:52:16 PM
I don't think you guys understand.  I don't have a garage.  My car is parked in an indoor car park.  Like a car park in a shopping centre.  There is somebody else's car on my left, another on my right, and yet another one behind my car.  I cannot even open the door fully without hitting another car.  There is no space for me to do anything.

No prob, dont worry about it and rock on as your doing then.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

I thought of a new skilll...not really a repair skill, and not one that is strictly needed, but it would be good for everyone to know how to drive a manual transmission.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2014, 11:25:40 PM
I thought of a new skilll...not really a repair skill, and not one that is strictly needed, but it would be good for everyone to know how to drive a manual transmission.

I don't have that skill, and I don't see the point.

DGuller

Why?   :huh:  Yeah, I understand the macho factor, but in the world where semi-automatic transmissions are becoming more common, what possible advantage do manual transmissions have?

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2014, 12:20:05 AM
Why?   :huh:  Yeah, I understand the macho factor, but in the world where semi-automatic transmissions are becoming more common, what possible advantage do manual transmissions have?

They are still around? There are still a decent number of manual transmission vehicles out there in the US--some people prefer them.

Plus, if you travel, large parts of the world are primarily manual. Good luck returning to the Ukraine and renting an automatic.

It isn't a big deal if you don't know how, but since it only takes a couple hours to learn, why not learn?

DGuller

It may take a couple of hours to learn the basics of operating the shifter and the clutch smoothly enough, but driving the manual car like second nature so that you're not distracted by the mechanics of it all takes more time than that.  And no way am I going to go to Ukraine for anything.

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on January 15, 2014, 12:36:40 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2014, 12:20:05 AM

They are still around? There are still a decent number of manual transmission vehicles out there in the US--some people prefer them.

Plus, if you travel, large parts of the world are primarily manual. Good luck returning to the Ukraine and renting an automatic.

It isn't a big deal if you don't know how, but since it only takes a couple hours to learn, why not learn?

I successfully rented an automatic in France, so it isn't a big deal.  It isn't like I drive in Europe all the time. 

Because I don't need to learn a skill that is basically useless to me?  Because it isn't something you can just learn, but takes a certain degree of continuous practice as well?  If I learn how to do it, then put it aside, I'm not sure if I still know how to do it 5 years down the road.  Plus the majority of cars in HK are automatic, so I really don't see any point. 

For me, driving is a necessary evil.  I don't enjoy driving; I only enjoy the convenience of getting around in my private car.

The Brain

The direct control of manual is appealing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.