News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 15, 2014, 10:55:36 AM
In the old days, we tossed kids into the back of the pickup truck. Now you gotta protect them. Pfft.

Old days we can remember fondly, with nostalgia. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: 11B4V on January 15, 2014, 12:33:45 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2014, 08:13:54 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 15, 2014, 01:52:35 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2014, 11:25:40 PM
I thought of a new skilll...not really a repair skill, and not one that is strictly needed, but it would be good for everyone to know how to drive a manual transmission.

All my vehicles are manual transmission. I wont own an auto.

:rolleyes: Why do you like inefficiency?

How is it inefficient?

What fahdiz said a couple of pages back. Modern Auto transmissions now out perform manual transmissions.

Altho, I guess that doesn't apply to your 1988 Transam.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on January 15, 2014, 02:03:19 AM
If I remember correctly, my automatic has the following transmissions: P, R, N, D, 2, L.

I think I've only ever used P, R and D.  The rest are meaningless to me.  I don't even know what they do.

L (low) and 2 are lower gears with higher torque for towing or extremely poor road conditions, N (neutral) is for moving your car while it's off/inoperable, need to push it out of a rut, having the car towed with its wheels still rolling on the ground, etc.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

I thought 2 was higher gear/lower torque, like when starting on ice.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2014, 02:57:17 PM
I thought 2 was higher gear/lower torque, like when starting on ice.

Yeah, you're right about that.  I oversimplified.  Either way, virtually unnecessary, but good to have.
Experience bij!

11B4V

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2014, 01:18:47 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 15, 2014, 12:33:45 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2014, 08:13:54 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 15, 2014, 01:52:35 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2014, 11:25:40 PM
I thought of a new skilll...not really a repair skill, and not one that is strictly needed, but it would be good for everyone to know how to drive a manual transmission.

All my vehicles are manual transmission. I wont own an auto.

:rolleyes: Why do you like inefficiency?

How is it inefficient?

What fahdiz said a couple of pages back. Modern Auto transmissions now out perform manual transmissions.

They do. He should prove that claim.

That's not what he said.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Crop your fucking quotes you goddamn gearhead.

Iormlund

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 15, 2014, 02:55:35 PM
If I remember correctly, my automatic has the following transmissions: P, R, N, D, 2, L.

I think I've only ever used P, R and D.  The rest are meaningless to me.  I don't even know what they do.

L (low) and 2 are lower gears with higher torque for towing or extremely poor road conditions, N (neutral) is for moving your car while it's off/inoperable, need to push it out of a rut, having the car towed with its wheels still rolling on the ground, etc.

Do you use those for engine braking as well?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Iormlund on January 15, 2014, 06:35:13 PM

In theory, it could, but it'd be extreme- on American roads, AT vehicles are usually in 4th gear by 35-40MPH, so engine braking that way would probably drop you from 4th to 2nd and redline far too much for my taste.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

I have no time for manuals as I'm too busy stuffing my face with a Mickey D's sausage and egg biscuit(NO CHEESE) with one hand and smacking kids with the other.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 15, 2014, 06:50:37 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on January 15, 2014, 06:35:13 PM

In theory, it could, but it'd be extreme- on American roads, AT vehicles are usually in 4th gear by 35-40MPH, so engine braking that way would probably drop you from 4th to 2nd and redline far too much for my taste.

So what do you do in prolonged descents? You just pray your brakes won't overheat?

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 15, 2014, 02:55:35 PM

Good to know that I didn't miss anything.  Thanks  :)

Caliga

:yes:

I shift my Honda to '2' when starting out in snowy/icy conditions (typically my driveway and if the subdivision hasn't been plowed well).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Quote from: Iormlund on January 15, 2014, 07:28:28 PM

So what do you do in prolonged descents? You just pray your brakes won't overheat?

Like I said, there is no problem that can't be solved by stepping harder on the brake/accelerator.  I am not aware that brakes can overheat.

Caliga

Yes, yes they can.  It happened to me once about 12 years ago.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points