Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Upon reflection, the following are reasons to have some knowledge of cars:

-Assessing which services the mechanic is trying to sell you are really needed

-Assessing the price you are being charged for services

-Saving money by doing really easy stuff yourself

-Impressing girls by knowing 1 or 2 things about cars (this has backfired for me when the 1 or 2 things I know don't apply to her car and I lost the bolts needed to put things back together) 

-If you will ever travel off road and/or in remote areas, an ability to fix some problems yourself

-Cars are important machines. Knowing the basics about them has to be more useful than knowing about WWII bombers or campaigns in North Africa or Sulla.

-Maybe not Sulla.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

When I was on the west coast, I used my uncle's shop.

And as for impressing the ladies...:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 07:11:53 PM
Upon reflection, the following are reasons to have some knowledge of cars:
-Assessing which services the mechanic is trying to sell you are really needed and which are more about boosting the shop's revenue
-Assessing the price you are being charged for services
-Saving money by doing really easy stuff yourself
-Impressing girls by knowing 1 or 2 things about cars (this has backfired for me when the 1 or 2 things I know don't apply to her car and I lost the bolts needed to put things back together) 
-If you will ever travel off road and/or in remote areas, an ability to fix some problems yourself
-Cars are important machines. Knowing the basics about them has to be more useful than knowing about WWII bombers or campaigns in North Africa or Sulla.
-Maybe not Sulla.

Seems reasonable to me.

Admiral Yi

I think changing a tire is just a practicality thing.  You get a flat in the country, you don't want to wait 2 hours by your road service guy to show up, assuming you have it.

With checking/filling air, who else is going to do it for you?  You going to drive around on your rims until regularly scheduled maintenance comes up?

Maximus

-Maybe not Sulla.

What about small boats?

CountDeMoney

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM
Inspired by the off topic topic discussion....what are the auto care / repair skills you must teach your son or daughter regarding automobiles, or else you failed as a parent (maybe that is a bit strong).

My short list off the top of my head:
--how to change a tire
--how to plug a tire
--how to check the air and put air on a tire
--how to jump a car
--how to put gas in a car (this is trivial, but apparently there is a languishite that doesn't know how)

Some things that just need to be done or else you get ripped off:
--how to change windshield wipers
--how to replace an air filter
--how to change lights

I thought I knew how to refuel a car.  Until one day I noticed that the engine was still on when I got back into the driver's seat. 

I pay others on everything else on that list. 

Grey Fox

I know how to do all that stuff & do it regularly to my cars.

I am poor, you see. I can't afford to spend 30-40 bucks for every little things that come up. I like to feed my family.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:32:17 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 13, 2014, 12:22:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:14:49 PM
Pretty much none of those seem necessary - maybe the gas one but that depends on where you live given that there are states where pumping your own gas is not allowed.

Because you will never drive in one of the 48 states where you need to do it yourself?

That's why I said that's the only one that is potentially necessary.

Personally, I know how to pump gas and have always been in states where you are allowed to pump your own.

I thought you had spent some time here in Oregon. Or was it just that you had family here?
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on January 14, 2014, 09:49:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:32:17 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 13, 2014, 12:22:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:14:49 PM
Pretty much none of those seem necessary - maybe the gas one but that depends on where you live given that there are states where pumping your own gas is not allowed.

Because you will never drive in one of the 48 states where you need to do it yourself?

That's why I said that's the only one that is potentially necessary.

Personally, I know how to pump gas and have always been in states where you are allowed to pump your own.

I thought you had spent some time here in Oregon. Or was it just that you had family here?

Just both my sisters were in Portland / they've both moved away again.

My statement, of course, should have been "lived in" as I've been to Oregon and NJ several times. -_-
Actually, I do have a cousin now up at UO too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Not sure if this was mentioned, but check the car battery after three years, no more than four. Should really get a new battery after three or four years, especially in a cold climate. I meant to change mine as I went into winter on the fourth year of owning my car, but forgot to check/change it. Battery went dead, though fortunately in my driveway. Had AAA auto service jump start the car and I drove to the dealer for a new battery.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

I can assemble a brake.
Beyond that I've never had to do anything. I guess I could figure out changing a tyre, if the place to put the jack is clearly marked, could maybe bluff through some other things, but....I hope when I have kids I won't have to have a car so this won't be necessary.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2014, 10:27:54 AM
How do you check the battery?

Take it into an auto parts store & have them test it.  They do it for free everywhere I've been.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

I was in agreement until you got to this point.  For this you should be banned.