News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Inspired by the off topic topic discussion....what are the auto care / repair skills you must teach your son or daughter regarding automobiles, or else you failed as a parent (maybe that is a bit strong).

My short list off the top of my head:
--how to change a tire
--how to plug a tire
--how to check the air and put air on a tire
--how to jump a car
--how to put gas in a car (this is trivial, but apparently there is a languishite that doesn't know how)

Some things that just need to be done or else you get ripped off:
--how to change windshield wipers
--how to replace an air filter
--how to change lights
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Taking parenting advice from languish?

Not going to happen.

Richard Hakluyt

garbon

Pretty much none of those seem necessary - maybe the gas one but that depends on where you live given that there are states where pumping your own gas is not allowed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Agree with your list except delete plugging a tire and add checking/adding oil and adding wiper fluid.

Viking

adding to your list

- checking and filling engine oil
- checking and filling water
- checking and filling wiper fluid
- re-setting the car alarm
- aligning mirrors to the new driver (life or death thing)
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM
Inspired by the off topic topic discussion....what are the auto care / repair skills you must teach your son or daughter regarding automobiles, or else you failed as a parent (maybe that is a bit strong).

My short list off the top of my head:
--how to change a tire
--how to plug a tire
--how to jump a car
--how to put gas in a car (this is trivial, but apparently there is a languishite that doesn't know how)

Some things that just need to be done or else you get ripped off:
--how to change lights
Should know
--how to change a tire
--how to jump a car
--how to put gas in a car (this is trivial, but apparently there is a languishite that doesn't know how
--how to change lights
--change/gap plug and plug wires
--change oil and filter
--replace fuse
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:14:49 PM
Pretty much none of those seem necessary - maybe the gas one but that depends on where you live given that there are states where pumping your own gas is not allowed.

Because you will never drive in one of the 48 states where you need to do it yourself?

crazy canuck

You need to teach your kids how to find a good reliable mechanic so that they can spend their time doing more fruitful activities.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 12:22:52 PM
You need to teach your kids how to find a good reliable mechanic so that they can spend their time doing more fruitful activities.

And what do they do when all four of them are booked solid for the next three months? :P

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 12:22:52 PM

and the more they know, the more they can save money or spend it on other things.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Practically as soon as I could walk, my mom always made me get out, go pay inside for the gas (pay at the pump was a distant dream in those days) and then pump the gas.  I hardly ever had to do any chores around the house, but that one was important to her for some reason. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Should know
--how to change a tire
--how to jump a car
--how to put gas in a car (this is trivial, but apparently there is a languishite that doesn't know how
--how to change lights
--change/gap plug and plug wires
--change oil and filter
--replace fuse

If you can do these, get a jack stand or two, and you can also rotate your own tires and change brake pads.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

As far as the more advanced stuff, it depends on how big a PITA it is. I'm getting old. Changing the timing belt, tensior, and water pump on the neon cost me a little over 100 bucks plus a day of time four years ago. But, removing an engine mount and jacking the engine up is a pain. You have to do that step to get access. Could I do it again...yes. Will I...no. A shop would charge 700-1000. A timing belt going out on an interference engine is not pretty.

garbon

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 13, 2014, 12:22:00 PM

Because you will never drive in one of the 48 states where you need to do it yourself?

That's why I said that's the only one that is potentially necessary.

Personally, I know how to pump gas and have always been in states where you are allowed to pump your own.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.