And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 12:24:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 12:22:52 PM
You need to teach your kids how to find a good reliable mechanic so that they can spend their time doing more fruitful activities.

and the more they know, the more they can save money or spend it on other things.

To a certain extent, absolutely.  As I mentioned in the OT thread, I saved both time *and* money by changing my alternator myself.  Plus I knew I was getting a new, reliable part since I bought it myself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Changing car lights? Most modern cars have built in lights that can't be changed on your own.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM
how to put gas in a car (this is trivial, but apparently there is a languishite that doesn't know how)

I refuse to believe this is possible.

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on January 13, 2014, 12:33:05 PM
Changing car lights? Most modern cars have built in lights that can't be changed on your own.

Huh?  How modern are we talking here?  You can change the bulbs in any car I'm familiar with yourself, easy peasy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

:huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

What does "should" mean in this context given that nearly all of them are unnecessary?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Also, I recomend teaching your kids to wash their mom's car so dad does not have to anymore. ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 12:34:37 PM

Huh?  How modern are we talking here?  You can change the bulbs in any car I'm familiar with yourself, easy peasy.

One of mine required you to removed part of the engine to get to it.  Total pain in my ass.  I will definitely think twice about doing on my own next time I have to change it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

There is only one skill that you as a parent really need to teach your son, and that is the skill of getting a STEM education.  If you can succeed at that, then your son will have more than enough money to pay someone else to do the pleb work.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:35:43 PM
What does "should" mean in this context given that nearly all of them are unnecessary?

That you'd be better off knowing them.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 12:34:37 PM

agreed
Youtube is your freind if you dont know how. Easy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 12:36:40 PM

That you'd be better off knowing them.

I don't see how. Most of those are unpleasant and its easier to have someone do them for you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Sucks the interweb will go down and I won't be able to find out how some of you fare when the zombie apocalypse hits. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 12:38:48 PM
Sucks the interweb will go down and I won't be able to find out how some of you fare when the zombie apocalypse hits. :(

:D

alfred russel

Garbon, what is your plan if you have a flat tire in a somewhat remote place with no one to call?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014