Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 01:50:06 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:45:47 PM
CC

How often does your owners manual tell you to check the oil in your car?

No idea.  I have never looked at the thing.  Who does that?

The booklet in your glovebox. A lot of useful info in there. See how often it tells you to check your oil. I quoted you two examples above from my vehicles.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:52:14 PM
CC

The booklet in your glovebox. A lot of useful info in there. See how often it tells you to check your oil. I quoted you two examples above from my vehicles.

I think this falls into the categorie of who cares.  I did get something from the dealership that told me what I had to do to keep my warranty.  Oil check fetish was not on the list.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 01:51:31 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:50:26 PM
Here's a hint,

My Truck: every stop for fuel

The Neon: every stop for fuel.

and yes they both have idiot lights. So, what your saying is, you should not even remotely follow the owners manual.

Interesting.  Did you realize you were buying cars that had the potential to leak that much?

again look at your owners manual. It's the pamphlet looking thing in the glove box.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:54:01 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:50:26 PM
Here's a hint,

My Truck: every stop for fuel

The Neon: every stop for fuel.

and yes they both have idiot lights. So, what your saying is, you should not even remotely follow the owners manual.

Interesting.  Did you realize you were buying cars that had the potential to leak that much?

again look at your owners manual. It's the pamphlet looking thing in the glove box.  :lol:

If you have found something which justifies your fetish then I am happy for you.  But dont expect me to adopt your wierd ways.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 01:53:55 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:52:14 PM
CC

I think this falls into the categorie of who cares.  I did get something from the dealership that told me what I had to do to keep my warranty.  Oil check fetish was not on the list.

Do as you will.

sbr

I just got the oil changed in my truck (by someone else) for the first time in 4 years.

It only had 800 miles on it since the last one.

Admiral Yi

I've changed my own oil a couple times, but crawling underneath your car with the drip pan really is a pain in the ass.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 02:03:22 PM
I've changed my own oil a couple times, but crawling underneath your car with the drip pan really is a pain in the ass.

I'll crawl on the ground for you if you change my oil filters.  :yucky:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 02:03:22 PM

And then you need to drive that used oil and filter to a depot that can recycle it.  So much for the time savings...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on January 13, 2014, 02:04:53 PM

:huh: How's that tough?  You strap on the little tool thingy and give it a turn.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 02:07:02 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 13, 2014, 02:04:53 PM

:huh: How's that tough?  You strap on the little tool thingy and give it a turn.

That was the part I hated the most as the filter never quite drained enough.

DGuller

Cars don't leak oil, they eat oil.  Well, bad cars do.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2014, 02:08:18 PM
Cars don't leak oil, they eat oil.  Well, bad cars do.

Yeah, in that case the blue smoke would be the dead give away that you need to check the oil.  But we were talking about new cars.