And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 02:35:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 02:33:46 PM
Meh, if there is a chap I can hire who knows how to do it better than I do, and the job isnt trivial, I get the chap to do it.

If some of you guys enjoy doing those things yourselves then have at it.  But really, I can think of a lot better ways to spend my time.

Time vs money. Each to his own. :)

Well, if I was going to think about this in purely economic terms, I could earn a lot more money in the time it takes me to change my oil and drive the used oil and filter to a recycling depot than it costs me to pay someone else to do it.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 02:34:38 PM
Grabon, do you know how to change a light bulb in your apartment?  :P

Yes and I've changed quite a few. Even have to sort out the whole energy saving bulbs vs. regular for different lights as many of the lights in my apts are on dimmers. :P ( <_< @ the dimmers)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 02:39:47 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 02:35:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 02:33:46 PM
Meh, if there is a chap I can hire who knows how to do it better than I do, and the job isnt trivial, I get the chap to do it.

If some of you guys enjoy doing those things yourselves then have at it.  But really, I can think of a lot better ways to spend my time.

Time vs money. Each to his own. :)

Well, if I was going to think about this in purely economic terms, I could earn a lot more money in the time it takes me to change my oil and drive the used oil and filter to a recycling depot than it costs me to pay someone else to do it.

and I can save a lot of money doing shit myself. :)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 02:45:04 PM
and I can save a lot of money doing shit myself. :)

So that works great for you.  :)

The Brain

Why even bother having helots if you're still going to do manual labor?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:50:26 PM
Here's a hint,

My Truck: every stop for fuel

The Neon: every stop for fuel.

and yes they both have idiot lights. So, what your saying is, you should not even remotely follow the owners manual.

CC and Jacob should take into consideration the fact that there's a reason that those warning lights are called idiot lights.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on January 13, 2014, 05:42:35 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:50:26 PM
Here's a hint,

My Truck: every stop for fuel

The Neon: every stop for fuel.

and yes they both have idiot lights. So, what your saying is, you should not even remotely follow the owners manual.

CC and Jacob should take into consideration the fact that there's a reason that those warning lights are called idiot lights.

Yeah, only an idiot would ignore them.

Jacob

Quote from: dps on January 13, 2014, 05:42:35 PMCC and Jacob should take into consideration the fact that there's a reason that those warning lights are called idiot lights.

They only go off if you're an idiot and don't have the garage do the proper maintenance?

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 13, 2014, 06:18:41 PM
I ignore the lights.  :Embarrass:

My one warning light goes off all the time though when I've taken it in - there's nothing wrong.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 06:27:26 PM

My one warning light goes off all the time though when I've taken it in - there's nothing wrong.

which one?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 06:31:33 PM

which one?

Well two, but they both eventually go away after a bit of driving.

IMA
Check Engine

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 06:34:54 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 06:31:33 PM

which one?

Well two, but they both eventually go away after a bit of driving.

IMA
Check Engine

You have a hybrid?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 06:39:56 PM
You have a hybrid?

Of course he has a hybrid. He drives once a month. Can you imagine what his fuel costs would be without one?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014