News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2014, 11:25:40 PM
I thought of a new skilll...not really a repair skill, and not one that is strictly needed, but it would be good for everyone to know how to drive a manual transmission.

All my vehicles are manual transmission. I wont own an auto.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

If I remember correctly, my automatic has the following transmissions: P, R, N, D, 2, L.

I think I've only ever used P, R and D.  The rest are meaningless to me.  I don't even know what they do.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Monoriu

I always tell my wife, that when we drive, there is no problem that can't be solved by stepping harder on the brake, or the accelerator. 

Brazen

I used to do most of my own car maintenance, but things have just got too complicated under there! I pump petrol and keep my tyres and window-washing fluid topped up, but that's about it. But I have a very understanding garage that will undertake the cheapest option for the impoverished.

Grey Fox

Quote from: 11B4V on January 15, 2014, 01:52:35 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2014, 11:25:40 PM
I thought of a new skilll...not really a repair skill, and not one that is strictly needed, but it would be good for everyone to know how to drive a manual transmission.

All my vehicles are manual transmission. I wont own an auto.

:rolleyes: Why do you like inefficiency?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2014, 01:04:08 AM
It may take a couple of hours to learn the basics of operating the shifter and the clutch smoothly enough, but driving the manual car like second nature so that you're not distracted by the mechanics of it all takes more time than that.  And no way am I going to go to Ukraine for anything.

You better brush up on your horseback riding skills, in case you ever find yourself in Mongolia.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on January 15, 2014, 01:12:03 AM
The direct control of manual is appealing.

Until you're stuck in traffic going 5 mph up a hill.

But otherwise, yeah-- I prefer a standard transmission.  My wife, despite having learned twice, has conveniently forgotten how to drive one.  Especially when my car is blocking her in the driveway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on January 15, 2014, 01:07:39 AM
I successfully rented an automatic in France, so it isn't a big deal. 

But you probably paid through the nose, and there are parts of Europe you can't be sure one is available. And many parts of the world you can be sure one isn't available.

Quote from: Grey Fox

Why do you like inefficiency?

This proves you aren't really French after all.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

fhdz

All of the "manual is better than automatic" arguments which are actually quantifiable - like fuel inefficiency, transmission wear, and so on - have been rendered obsolete by improvements in automatic transmissions.

The only arguments left for refusing to drive an automatic in the United States, where automatic transmissions are very common, are emotional arguments. Which is fine; if that's what you feel like you want to do because it satisfies you in some non-quantifiable way, then go for it.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

It's pretty hott when a chick knows how to drive stick and parallel park.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 15, 2014, 09:48:29 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 15, 2014, 01:12:03 AM
The direct control of manual is appealing.

Until you're stuck in traffic going 5 mph up a hill.

My hybrid is the worst on hills when you come to a complete stop. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

It's probably the stop-start system.  When I test drove a Mercedes C300, I found that system on it to be very stupidly behaving.  When I was parking it, the moment I came to a stop after a maneuver, it shut off.  Then I press the gas and nothing happens for a while, until it does.  Not very reassuring, though I imagine I would get used to it.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2014, 10:14:49 AM
It's probably the stop-start system.  When I test drove a Mercedes C300, I found that system on it to be very stupidly behaving.  When I was parking it, the moment I came to a stop after a maneuver, it shut off.  Then I press the gas and nothing happens for a while, until it does.  Not very reassuring, though I imagine I would get used to it.

That's exactly what it is. Necessitates me using two feet as I need to press the gas pedal quickly unless I want to start rolling backwards.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.