mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2014, 09:20:56 PM
I lost 10 pounds.  God knows where.

:thumbsup:

Good going; do you still have all of your limbs.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2014, 09:57:32 PM
5K is a nice distance, never tried much further, I just enjoyed that and always felt if I stormed around one, without much thought, then I was in good form.

Have you considered throwing in one or two 5K into your training regime, just to mix it up and provide some 'light relief'? 

Nothing wrong with engineering the occasional running high, in the run upto the big race?

It is a good idea in theory, but the problem I'm having is staying fit to run. I've cut back to 4 days a week, which makes it hard to keep my mileage up. I really can't make one of those days a 5k--I won't run enough. I should have the cardio fitness to get the marathon time I want, it is a question of building the endurance. I really didn't think it would be this hard.

Next week I may try adding in a 5th day of running something like a 5k.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2014, 09:11:46 PM
Quote from: Maladict on March 10, 2014, 10:37:36 AM
Getting the old bike ready for the new season, I'm looking at serious replacement parts costs.
Might be time to get a new bike...  :hmm:

+1.

Why not, I too am looking at building something new/somewhat different.

Also warn out the odd or two drive train, in all the mud and water this winter.  <_<

I'm being offered this by someone I know, for 1500 euros. It's a couple of years old.

Stevens SLC team
- SRAM Force brakes and shifters
- SRAM Red derailleurs
- Rotor 3D crank set, 50-34 Rotor oval chainrings
- Shimano Dura Ace 12-25 cassette and chain
- Campa Eurus wheels, conti 4000s tires
- 3T Arx team stem (alu)
- 3T Ergonova team handle bar (carbon) 
- 3T team seat post (carbon)

Thoughts?

Brazen

Just bought these. I shall build up gradually to running in them and report back:

I went to the running club my gym runs on Sunday; first time I've been to a club in about three years. A mile warm-up, drills and 4*800m repeats. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. But it was touch and go for a while.

I'm running Sport Relief Mile on Saturday, and I've entered my usual hilly trail 5K, then I'll think about a 10K or two.

Edit: I'm very, very fat at the moment though. I need to sort my eating (and drinking) to approach anything like my former fitness.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 19, 2014, 03:18:26 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2014, 09:11:46 PM
Quote from: Maladict on March 10, 2014, 10:37:36 AM
Getting the old bike ready for the new season, I'm looking at serious replacement parts costs.
Might be time to get a new bike...  :hmm:

+1.

Why not, I too am looking at building something new/somewhat different.

Also warn out the odd or two drive train, in all the mud and water this winter.  <_<

I'm being offered this by someone I know, for 1500 euros. It's a couple of years old.

Stevens SLC team
- SRAM Force brakes and shifters
- SRAM Red derailleurs
- Rotor 3D crank set, 50-34 Rotor oval chainrings
- Shimano Dura Ace 12-25 cassette and chain
- Campa Eurus wheels, conti 4000s tires
- 3T Arx team stem (alu)
- 3T Ergonova team handle bar (carbon) 
- 3T team seat post (carbon)

Thoughts?

Sorry I've no knowledge of road bikes or higher-end components.  :blush:

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2014, 07:53:25 AM
Sorry I've no knowledge of road bikes or higher-end components.  :blush:

That's ok, neither do I really.  :)

PDH

That all sounds impressive, so I bet they are good.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: Brazen on March 19, 2014, 07:18:14 AM
Just bought these. I shall build up gradually to running in them and report back:

I'll look forward to this.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Legbiter

Quote from: Brazen on March 19, 2014, 07:18:14 AM

I went to the running club my gym runs on Sunday; first time I've been to a club in about three years. A mile warm-up, drills and 4*800m repeats. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. But it was touch and go for a while.

I'm running Sport Relief Mile on Saturday, and I've entered my usual hilly trail 5K, then I'll think about a 10K or two.

Edit: I'm very, very fat at the moment though. I need to sort my eating (and drinking) to approach anything like my former fitness.

I own 2 pairs of these. :nerd:  :lol: People will stop and stare, small children will point and ask mommy what that stranger is wearing...

Just work up to them very, very gradually, start with a 10 minute walk while your feet adjust. It took me 3 weeks to make the transition, now I sprint in them during the summer.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

MadImmortalMan

My cousin broke his toe wearing those in the Chicago Marathon.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Legbiter

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 19, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
My cousin broke his toe wearing those in the Chicago Marathon.

And thus kept him from running the marathon? Truly unexpected health benefits right there.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Brazen

Wore my Vibrams for a 20 minute walk and a quick trot at lunchtime. Small children cried. Horse reared. Milk soured. But my feet were happy.

mongers

Popped out over the down to Salisbury on Sunday, a 37mile round trip, first time since the early Autumn due to the rainapocalypse here.

Same route as I took last time, though still wet in places. Different bikes, a flat bar road type hybrid vs a folding bike last year.

Time taken to get there and back, according to the computer, 2h58m3s on this big 700mm bike, last time on the 20inch folder, 2h58m3s.

Exactly the same time, to the second.   :hmm:

So I guess I've broadly maintained the same level of fitness over the winter, hence the very similar times; guess it's a case of doing a consistent level of effort, knowing the routes well and having to shift a similar load (me +11-12kgs of bike) up the same hills. 

alfred russel

Mongers, for a 3 hour bike ride, what kind of pace do you think you would hold on a flat track?

Eddie Teach

What part of the bike are you measuring to get the 20 inch/700 mm numbers?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?