News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on March 23, 2014, 12:23:26 AM
Mongers, for a 3 hour bike ride, what kind of pace do you think you would hold on a flat track?

Hard to say, as most of my routes contains some or a considerable bit of off-road/forest/tracks. 

The above trip has a 15-20 minutes off-road section in the middle both ways, so it screws the average.

If I'm going somewhere with a time/appointment in mind and it's mainly road, I generally aim to stay above a 14 mph average and can keep that up for a fair few hours.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2014, 12:39:24 AM
What part of the bike are you measuring to get the 20 inch/700 mm numbers?

700mm is the European messure for what are variously described as 28/29 or even 27inch tyres. The important thing is 700mm tyres fit on the standard 622mm wheel rims that are ubiqius for many road and hybrid/utility bikes. 

20 inch is the most common size for folding and bmx bikes tyres, though I think bmx tend to have wider wheel rims for fatter tyres, even though both types of bike have the same wheel rim diameters, something like 406mm.

Maladict

No new bike this year, one more year on the old one <_<

First race is in three weeks, I should start to get some km's under my belt.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 25, 2014, 04:17:10 AM
No new bike this year, one more year on the old one <_<

First race is in three weeks, I should start to get some km's under my belt.

+1.   :cool:

PDH

Still too cold/icy here to bike more than in town to work.  I am waiting for a nice spell of better weather then I can start the circuit.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

Quote from: PDH on March 25, 2014, 09:46:11 AM
Still too cold/icy here to bike more than in town to work.  I am waiting for a nice spell of better weather then I can start the circuit.

When is your trek across the mountains?

PDH

This year I am planning to do that late August.  By then the snow is gone and the water across the road is gone as well from the melt.  I actually only plan to go from base to summit then back.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on March 25, 2014, 10:47:04 AM
This year I am planning to do that late August.  By then the snow is gone and the water across the road is gone as well from the melt.  I actually only plan to go from base to summit then back.

Sounds good; very different scale of climate/terrain in your neck of the woods, in comparison all I have to wait for is equivalent of just a few puddles to go.  :) 

PDH

I am only going to the summit.  The full profile looks like this:
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on March 25, 2014, 05:31:39 PM

EEK.  :faints:

One of the largest hills around here is also at the 12 mile mark like yours, but I start at about 28 ft above sea-level and climb another 400ft, unlike your 3,000 on a base of 8,000.   :D

Brazen

I recommend coming back down again afterwards.

Maladict

you should totally do the whole thing.
And back again  :cool:

Maladict

I might give this a shot in June  :ph34r:

PDH

Screw that.

Oh, and B?  Coming down is easy...at least as long as I don't blow out or lose the brakes.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

Mal is as insane (non-flat) as you are.  :bowler: