News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Got a new stead today, I needed a budget, somewhat off-road capable bike to do shopping/small trips with a 20-25 mile radius of here. Mainly for back/minor-roads, forest tracks, highways and byways.

As you may guess didn't spend a great deal, about the equivalent of 35 gallons of gas/petrol.
It has an aluminium frame with steel forks, which I chose as their geometry and character seem to absorb/smooth quite a lot of road feedback.

Swapped out the tyres and pedals for better ones, now just need to fit a rack, mudguards, lights, bottle cages etc  and I have a usable utility bike for his spring/summer/autumn. 

Plus it enables me to take more routes that avoid traffic.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

PDH

You could ride that up the Snowy Range, or Mt Ventoux
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Norgy

mongers, why aren't you getting a thing for covering the back wheel? Like one of the few words I don't know in English. Saves you from doing laundry after every trip and having dirt in your hair and that.

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on March 26, 2014, 04:20:32 PM
mongers, why aren't you getting a thing for covering the back wheel? Like one of the few words I don't know in English. Saves you from doing laundry after every trip and having dirt in your hair and that.

Mudguards!   :)

Only got it today, so I'll have a rummage through the shed tomorrow evening and see what I come up with or swap some off another bike.

Norgy

I'll just jot down mudguards in case I ever find myself in the UK on a bike.

It does look like a very nice bike though.

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on March 26, 2014, 04:35:33 PM
I'll just jot down mudguards in case I ever find myself in the UK on a bike.

It does look like a very nice bike though.

I really should recipricate and learn some/any Norwegian, hello, thank you, please and so forth would be a good start.  :)

It's a pity I couldn't find the bits/frame to build one myself, but I hope the basic geometry is a good a fit to me, as I guessed when I saw the triangles.

Zanza

Just ran slightly more than 10k in an hour for the first time this year. :) Next goal, 12k in an hour or 15k in one-and-a-half hours.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on March 28, 2014, 12:11:42 PM
Just ran slightly more than 10k in an hour for the first time this year. :) Next goal, 12k in an hour or 15k in one-and-a-half hours.

:cool:

And looks like good weather in a fair bit of Europe this weekend.

Eddie Teach

Hey Mongers, do you wear out your bikes to the point of uselessness, or do you have like a dozen serviceable bikes in your shed now?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 28, 2014, 04:02:05 PM
Hey Mongers, do you wear out your bikes to the point of uselessness, or do you have like a dozen serviceable bikes in your shed now?

Yes usually, they get rebuilt, bits reused on others. 

No currently only three usable, with three other projects to rebuild/weld.

Maladict

61km in 1:52.
Looks like winter training paid off  :cool:

PDH

Jesus, I thought my 60 miles in four hours was good last year.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 30, 2014, 08:42:21 AM
61km in 1:52.
Looks like winter training paid off  :cool:

:cool:

A roadie who know how to ride one well, I had to overtake one of a group yesterday and I felt embarrassed over taking someone on a carbon bike, who was using clips and that all important team lycra.  :D

Maladict

Quote from: PDH on March 30, 2014, 09:06:45 AM
Jesus, I thought my 60 miles in four hours was good last year.

It is.

I couldn't have made it to 2hrs without dropping my pace, and it's about as long as I can go without taking a short break.
60 miles would have looked very different.  :)