And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Maladict on March 30, 2014, 10:10:06 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 30, 2014, 09:06:45 AM
Jesus, I thought my 60 miles in four hours was good last year.

It is.

I couldn't have made it to 2hrs without dropping my pace, and it's about as long as I can go without taking a short break.
60 miles would have looked very different.  :)

Well, mine was 30 miles in 2 hours - stop for energy bar and drink at a little restaurant/bar/store for 30 minutes, then back in 2 hours :D
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 30, 2014, 10:10:06 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 30, 2014, 09:06:45 AM
Jesus, I thought my 60 miles in four hours was good last year.

It is.

I couldn't have made it to 2hrs without dropping my pace, and it's about as long as I can go without taking a short break.
60 miles would have looked very different.  :)

But you still managed just over 20 mph for the best part of  two hours; not to be sniffed at.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on March 30, 2014, 10:18:10 AM

But you still managed just over 20 mph for the best part of  two hours; not to be sniffed at.  :cool:

No, I'm really happy with it. It was pretty much 35kph/22mph the whole way.
Getting in and out of the city and the inevitable traffic lights brought it down to 33kph/20mph.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 30, 2014, 10:34:53 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 30, 2014, 10:18:10 AM

No, I'm really happy with it. It was pretty much 35kph/22mph the whole way.
Getting in and out of the city and the inevitable traffic lights brought it down to 33kph/20mph.

Indeed.

Getting in and out of towns can really slow your average down.

I've got one cycle computer, on my flatbar hybrid/roadbike, that once you stop, continues to slow down to zero even though you've already stop.
So you see the average speed unjustly drop by a few hundreths/a tenth over 2-3 seconds.  :mad:

Eddie Teach

You've got a computer on your bike? I don't suppose pedaling recharges the battery...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 30, 2014, 05:33:37 PM
You've got a computer on your bike? I don't suppose pedaling recharges the battery...

No these sort of things, think car speedo/console:

alfred russel

What do you long range bikers do for nutrition on your long bike runs?

I've tried gummy worms, jelly belly active beans, stingers, and runners gels. I'm not really sold on any of them.

I envy your places to carry water. I have a belt to carry water, and I'm convinced that when I tighten it enough to keep it from bouncing around, it contributes to an upset stomach.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2014, 08:54:02 PM

I've tried gummy worms, jelly belly active beans, stingers, and runners gels. I'm not really sold on any of them.

I envy your places to carry water. I have a belt to carry water, and I'm convinced that when I tighten it enough to keep it from bouncing around, it contributes to an upset stomach.

My longest rides (about 70 miles) I carry two bottles of powerade and I have a camelback of water.  For those trips I usually have a couple cliff bars and a couple of kashi bars.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

I need to eat a lot along the way, don't have much in the way of energy reserves.

When cycling for, say, 6 to 8 hours in hilly terrain I'll probably take:
- 2 bottles of water with a little syrup and some salt (refilling along the way)
- 2 or 3 bacon pancakes (my secret weapon)
- 2 or 3 bananas
- about 6 energy bars
- about 6 gels or gummy crap (disgusting stuff, but you can't beat the small size)
plus anything edible I can lay my hands on along the way.

Just eating the gels or energy bars and the like doesn't do it for me after a while.

PDH

Just for the record, I do carry energy reserves  :D

Part of the reason I like to bike is it helps me shed Winter Weight - something that this time of year I have enough of.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Ed Anger

Lucullus dined with Lucullus a bit too much.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

I popped out and did 38 miles in the late afternoon sunshine, I think the effective temperature crept into the low 70s, but because I wasn't going all out I didn't drink much, only about 3/4litre of orange squash. Also took a couple of slices of teacake, ate one, but didn't really need it, just happened to be sitting in a town green space for a few minutes so needed something to do, pinic!

I think I have around a 40 mile range in my liver and muscles, before I need to think seriously about taking provisions or more than a litre of water or squash.

Josquius

My bike pedal is making strange clicky sounds when I pedal. :hmm:
It has never been the same since I had to leave it out in that typhoon. :(

Anyway. No more excuses today. It is properly spring now, I need to try and get in shape, I have to lose the gut if I ever want to get a semi-attractive girl of childbearing age. And fighting the depression would be good too.
I went for a semi-run, semi-jog. I suck. Could barely jog a minute before having to stop. Not just my traditional breathing problems at work here, my old leg issue is coming back. Will have to try and keep it up and hope it pays off. Not sure how to force myself to do it though. :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2014, 08:24:56 AM
My bike pedal is making strange clicky sounds when I pedal. :hmm:
It has never been the same since I had to leave it out in that typhoon. :(

Get yourself some cheap comfort MKS pedals, made in Japan with decent bearings, shouldn't cost more than $15.