News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Today I joined a gym.  :showoff:  :pinch:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2014, 06:59:16 PM
Today I joined a gym.

Congratulations.  The hard part is done.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Maladict

Maladict

My gym is to be turned into some new low-budget concept. :unsure:
Paying half the price isn't bad per se, but I don't have a good feeling about this :(

Syt

A colleague recently checked out a gym that was recommended by one of our senior managers.

She decided not to sign up. The base fee was EUR 190.- per month. And about a quarter of the machines incurred extra fees. Plus sauna and wellness part are extra. And of course instructions of any kind cost extra. There was an all in offer (not including instructions/coaching) for EUR 300.- per month. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

:wacko:

Mine is charging $10/month + $30/year.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Yeah, that's what the budget ones here would cost. Our in house lawyer who used to be a fitness coach during university and still hits the gym for ten or fifteen hours per week is at one that's basically just an abandoned storage hall with all kinds of non-electronic machines crammed in there that's frequented mostly be steroid hitting body builders and shady East European security types. I think he pays 20 or 25 per month.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Holy crap! I pay more than most people I know in London for the privilege of having a gym within a 5 minute walk of my flat, otherwise I just wouldn't go.  I now feel somewhat less guilty for parting with £74 a month, but that includes cardio and resistance machines, a shit-ton of free weights (plus all those trendy kettlebells, dumbbells, sandbags, Vipr, TRX etc.), classes, swimming pool, jacuzzi (swinger soup), sauna, steam room a running club and towels.

I just signed up for a new HIIT class on Sunday. If you don't hear from me, send the paramedics.

Legbiter

Quote from: Brazen on April 11, 2014, 04:59:49 AMI just signed up for a new HIIT class on Sunday. If you don't hear from me, send the paramedics

Good to see you giving the chronic cardio a miss. :thumbsup:

Today I'll squat 106 kgs for 3 sets of 5 or die trying.  :showoff:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Brazen

Quote from: Legbiter on April 11, 2014, 07:49:12 AM
Good to see you giving the chronic cardio a miss. :thumbsup:
And running 5K on Saturday :P

Brazen

I was reading today that Mo Farah, who's running is first full marathon in London on Sunday and almost certainly won't win, squats 200lb, which is 1.5 times his bodyweight, for 4-6 reps in training, even though he's this skinny:

mongers

Popped out this evening and did 20-22 miles around the forest, including various bits of off-road. 

Still overcoming a cold and set off with a slow puncture, so just getting back by last light wasn't too shabby, all things considered. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 11, 2014, 03:01:42 AM
A colleague recently checked out a gym that was recommended by one of our senior managers.

She decided not to sign up. The base fee was EUR 190.- per month. And about a quarter of the machines incurred extra fees. Plus sauna and wellness part are extra. And of course instructions of any kind cost extra. There was an all in offer (not including instructions/coaching) for EUR 300.- per month. :lol:

For that much it better include an apartment I can live in on the second floor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

First race tomorrow in the Teutoburgerwald. Hope I won't get ambushed  :ph34r:

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 12, 2014, 05:53:17 AM
First race tomorrow in the Teutoburgerwald. Hope I won't get ambushed  :ph34r:

:cool:

Good luck with that, I be thinking of you as I listen to Paris-Roubaix on the radio tomorrow.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"