News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

So nice, he said it twice and then made me look like a doofus. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: Caliga on February 18, 2014, 08:13:35 AM
I've been sewing patches on to my gi for the last three days.  I can only do a few stitches at a time since I can't find my thimble.  MAH THUMBS
  :unsure: :D

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Caliga

Brazen, remember that if an adult touches you in a way or a place that makes you feel uncomfortable, you should get help from your parents or another trusted adult.

"Wow, thanks!  Now I know what to do, Cal!"

...and knowing is half the battle!

GI-JOE!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

As an update, I saw a trainer. I've been doing biking as an alternate exercise to running, and cut back running to 4 days a week. I've also been doing some work with resistance bands to strengthen my groin muscles, which I think is helping.

But I may be pushing too hard. I've tested my heartrate and I'm getting up to around 170-175 bpm, which is well over my target heartrate. I've missed some running sessions. Like today I was planning on doing 10-12 miles, but after 3 decided that it sucked and I was done for the day. I should probably slow down, but man that sucks. I'm hoping to make a marathon in May, but obviously I need to quit skipping or cutting runs short.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

I ran a 5k today in 22:00. That is about a 7:05 min / mile pace, and I'm really happy with that. Probably my best race ever (I've never actually timed myself running a mile faster than 7:00).

The largest 10k in the world is run in Atlanta on July 4--60,000 run--this was a qualifier for that race and should put me in the A start group. My best start group before was D. I really wanted to get in the A start group at some point.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

fhdz

Quote from: Legbiter on February 04, 2014, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 04, 2014, 11:55:17 AMMy knees hurt from just typing this. :(

;)

Today all I'm doing is walking to the grocery store. Tomorrow is lift heavy things day

You're a paleo caricature, man. :lol:
and the horse you rode in on

Maladict

Getting the old bike ready for the new season, I'm looking at serious replacement parts costs.
Might be time to get a new bike...  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Picked up a used exercise bike on the cheap, got it parked in front of the tv.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

Quote from: alfred russel on March 01, 2014, 07:33:49 PM
I ran a 5k today in 22:00. That is about a 7:05 min / mile pace, and I'm really happy with that. Probably my best race ever (I've never actually timed myself running a mile faster than 7:00).
Holy crap that's fast!

Just started running again after being sidelined with various injuries and, well, age. Had a lovely lunchtime trot through the park followed by a baby-wipe shower (our office if pretty primitive; at least I have the kind of colleagues who'd inform me if I stank!). Got a charity one-miler lined up follow by a 5K and 10K. Was delighted not to win a ballot I entered for a half-marathon place, think that kind of distance is beyond me now.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on March 11, 2014, 08:52:49 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 01, 2014, 07:33:49 PM
Holy crap that's fast!

Just started running again after being sidelined with various injuries and, well, age. Had a lovely lunchtime trot through the park followed by a baby-wipe shower (our office if pretty primitive; at least I have the kind of colleagues who'd inform me if I stank!). Got a charity one-miler lined up follow by a 5K and 10K. Was delighted not to win a ballot I entered for a half-marathon place, think that kind of distance is beyond me now.

Indeed, it's just proper, proper running; must feel good to do it, I haven't done that at that sort pace for like 20+ years.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 10, 2014, 10:37:36 AM
Getting the old bike ready for the new season, I'm looking at serious replacement parts costs.
Might be time to get a new bike...  :hmm:

+1.

Why not, I too am looking at building something new/somewhat different.

Also warn out the odd or two drive train, in all the mud and water this winter.  <_<

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2014, 09:09:52 PM

Indeed, it's just proper, proper running; must feel good to do it, I haven't done that at that sort pace for like 20+ years.  :(

Thanks; it was a weird race...I've been training for a marathon, so I haven't run less than 6 miles in a long time. I really had no idea how to pace myself for a 5k--all of my runs are over 8 min / mile --some by a good distance. Basically the gun went and my strategy was to just run fast. At about the two mile mark I thought I might not finish, but I held on (through some cramping). It was a really fast track--2 flat miles followed by a 3rd downhill.

Razgovory

I lost 10 pounds.  God knows where.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on March 18, 2014, 09:18:40 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2014, 09:09:52 PM

Thanks; it was a weird race...I've been training for a marathon, so I haven't run less than 6 miles in a long time. I really had no idea how to pace myself for a 5k--all of my runs are over 8 min / mile --some by a good distance. Basically the gun went and my strategy was to just run fast. At about the two mile mark I thought I might not finish, but I held on (through some cramping). It was a really fast track--2 flat miles followed by a 3rd downhill.

5K is a nice distance, never tried much further, I just enjoyed that and always felt if I stormed around one, without much thought, then I was in good form.

Have you considered throwing in one or two 5K into your training regime, just to mix it up and provide some 'light relief'? 

Nothing wrong with engineering the occasional running high, in the run upto the big race?