News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why did English survive?

Started by Queequeg, December 27, 2013, 04:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Queequeg on January 01, 2014, 02:20:32 PM
I know what the last name Cohen and Kagan and whatnot means, but it's been a thousand years since the name was much other than a name. The only Cohen I know is a twink hipster who works at Penguin Publishing.

Perhaps. Many people did choose Kohen as a last name without having the background, expecting benefits.
However I know of at least 4 families that claim to descend from the kohen gadol mishpacha, the unbroken line from aaron ben amram, the first kohen gadol or high priest.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on December 28, 2013, 09:48:00 AM
Aren't Castilian patronymics a Goth thing? The Goths ruled effectively for 400 years, longer in Castile and Asturias, would be surprised of they just left.....the way people construct their names. That seems pretty intimate.

What dates are you using for Gothic rule? 400 years seems too long...

But my extremely amateur opinion was that the language of the visigoths in spain was something like the romans in the eastern part of the empire...The educated visigoths spoke latin to begin with, the gothic language never supplanted latin for daily use, and even the ruling class transitioned to latin/romance languages relatively quickly.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Warspite

Quote from: Queequeg on December 28, 2013, 03:03:12 AM

Croatian: Krava je preskočila veliku rijeku.

Unless I am mistaken. :grammarustasa:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on January 02, 2014, 12:59:45 PM
Aren't Castilian patronymics a Goth thing? The Goths ruled effectively for 400 years, longer in Castile and Asturias, would be surprised of they just left.....the way people construct their names. That seems pretty intimate.

But my extremely amateur opinion was that the language of the visigoths in spain was something like the romans in the eastern part of the empire...The educated visigoths spoke latin to begin with, the gothic language never supplanted latin for daily use, and even the ruling class transitioned to latin/romance languages relatively quickly.

I think the Franks and the Lombards were like that.  I wonder if the Roman ruler ship of Britain was less latin then that of Spain and France.  For all the talk of Romanized Britons, they factionalized into petty kingdoms and tribes fairly quickly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2014, 08:50:17 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 02, 2014, 12:59:45 PM

I think the Franks and the Lombards were like that.  I wonder if the Roman ruler ship of Britain was less latin then that of Spain and France.  For all the talk of Romanized Britons, they factionalized into petty kingdoms and tribes fairly quickly.

Perhaps, but how much relationship did the tribes and kingdoms that developed after the legions left have to those that existed before they came?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I don't know.  My guess is they were mostly client kingdoms and tribes giving tribute to Rome, rather then people who considered themselves Romans first.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

Anyone know any good books on this subject. Listening to Melvyn Bragg's book; I love In Our Time but this seems a little light, and I enjoyed Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue but the whole Phonenician substratum in Proto-Germanic made me think the entire thing was bullshit.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2014, 08:50:17 PM

Not really.  It took a few generations.  But a century in the Dark Ages is nothing.  Romanization was much more enduring in Wales where they did not have all the Saxons, Jutes, and Angles moving in Germanizing everything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2014, 07:53:35 PM
I don't know.  My guess is they were mostly client kingdoms and tribes giving tribute to Rome, rather then people who considered themselves Romans first.

I don't think that is true.  Britain considered itself so Roman it once had its own Roman Empire. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Queequeg

I thought Latin influence on Cornish, Breton and Welsh wasn't that great. Heck, the Bretons moved out of England and assimilated a whole lot of Romance speakers.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on January 09, 2014, 04:59:15 PM
I thought Latin influence on Cornish, Breton and Welsh wasn't that great. Heck, the Bretons moved out of England and assimilated a whole lot of Romance speakers.

The significance was mainly on vocabulary which was pretty significant.  Also remember speaking Latin was not necessarily a requirement for strong Roman identity, Egyptians certainly considered themselves very Roman but spoke Coptic.

Queequeg

Fair enough, but I don't think anyone would argue that the Roman state was as invested in Britan and Amoricum as Egypt, Syria or even some of the western European provinces. Egypt kept the Empire running, Britain was a vanity project with a tin mine.

Admiral Yi

Always back to Tommy Wiseau.  :rolleyes:

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2014, 04:46:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2014, 07:53:35 PM

I don't think that is true.  Britain considered itself so Roman it once had its own Roman Empire.

It did?  Oh and Italic and Celtic languages are fairly closely related.  It's not surprising to find quite bit of linguistic overlap.

Admiral Yi

Hey Squeelus, how much Punic do you know?