News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why did English survive?

Started by Queequeg, December 27, 2013, 04:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Listening to John McWhorter's Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue, he goes in to great depth on the influence Cornish and Welsh had on the development of the English verb and gerund.  It's extremely interesting, but it strikes me that English is really the exception, language-replacement wise.  The Norse invaded, conquered and settled the British Isles, Russia, and Normandy and most of it didn't amount to much, apart from fucking up the English noun.  The Norse don't seem to have had much influence on Scots Gaelic or Gaelic, or French, and the influence on Russian is pretty goddamned minuscule compared to the early influence of the Uralic and Iranian languages, as well as Gothic and Old Church Slavic.  Turkish succeed in part because it came with a faith and continuous migration over a 600 year period, but the Angles, Saxons, Frisians, Jutes and Franks who made up the initial Germanic settlement of England were pretty much a one-time affair, and in terms of numbers probably not a huge amount more than the German settlement of the Western Empire. 

Were the Vikings just a lot more willing to adopt local customs when compared to the Saxons?  Were the Gaels and Slavs better at assimilating people?  I think the second makes a degree of sense, cause the early Slavs were pretty amazing assimilation machines, and the Irish still have that reputation. Did English replace some kind of weird Celto-Romance that we don't know much about, but was maintained in regions with minimal Roman influence?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

I could swear we had this exact discussion not that long ago.

Eddie Teach

QQ's language threads all kinda blend together. Looking forward to his children's book though.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Norse had quite a big impact on English. They're the source of lots of our personal pronouns which is apparently very rare, it's a very intimate base-level assimilation. From what I've read it suggests they became very integrated into English society very quickly.

There's an interesting sound of paper by some linguists in Norway that argue that English is more of a Norse language than a Germanic one. Don't think it's available in English yet.
Let's bomb Russia!

citizen k

Norse isn't Germanic? When did this happen?

Sheilbh

Quote from: citizen k on December 27, 2013, 06:06:39 PM
Norse isn't Germanic? When did this happen?
Okay. Norse and North Germanic rather than normal German/West Germanic :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

If the French hadn't fagged up the English tongue it would have been great. Great castles though.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on December 27, 2013, 06:44:38 PM
If the French hadn't fagged up the English tongue it would have been great. Great castles though.

Without the influence of the French, the English language would have dozens of words to describe homely girls, but not one for hotties.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on December 27, 2013, 06:47:58 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 27, 2013, 06:44:38 PM

Without the influence of the French, the English language would have dozens of words to describe homely girls, but not one for hotties.

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life don't make a pretty woman your wife.

Razgovory

English didn't really survive, not anymore then Latin did.  The language of the Saxons is gone, and what replaced it can't really be called the same thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

Quote from: Razgovory on December 27, 2013, 06:53:52 PM
English didn't really survive, not anymore then Latin did.  The language of the Saxons is gone, and what replaced it can't really be called the same thing.
Well, if you get butchered all the time, than it's not easy to survive.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on December 27, 2013, 06:53:52 PM
But we aren't speaking a Celtic language.  That's my entire question. 

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 27, 2013, 06:02:15 PM
Norse had quite a big impact on English. They're the source of lots of our personal pronouns which is apparently very rare, it's a very intimate base-level assimilation. From what I've read it suggests they became very integrated into English society very quickly.

There's an interesting sound of paper by some linguists in Norway that argue that English is more of a Norse language than a Germanic one. Don't think it's available in English yet.
Scholarly terms are North and West Germanic.  English has roots in southern Jutland and clearly had close ties to the Proto-Norse, perhaps closer than their more continental contemporaries like the Suebi.  I wouldn't be surprised if we're somewhere almost exactly in the middle between North and West.