News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why did English survive?

Started by Queequeg, December 27, 2013, 04:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2014, 10:02:05 PM
If anyone wants to talk about Spartan latrine procedures, I'm game.

DAMN IT PEOPLE SHARE MY INTEREST IN SPARTAN TURDS!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Naw. When Ed mentions bowl movements, you have to vomit up a drink previously taken.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

katmai

This games has too many rules.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Quite a bit of the German influence in Spanish is explained through the Frankish presence in the north-east in the Hispanic Marche. Catalan is way more germanized than Spanish, and a lot of the words present in Spanish can be traced back to Catalan/Occitan and French, entering Spanish centuries after the Goth domination.
You sure about Catalan?  I thought the Langue d'Oc dialects and Catalan were famous for being conservative. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

I'm pretty sure. Besides speaking it I work with Catalan filologists almost daily, they have boring conversation topics  ;)

Catalan is the surviving Iberian language with biggest German influence. Castillian was relatively isolated, which allowed it to evolve a bit more on its own and receive less external influence (besides Arab, etc...), while Catalan, sitting on the border, was heavily affected by Frankish and Occitan.

Queequeg

That's awesome.

I've been really interested in Spain for a while, tbh.  It's kind of the photo-negative of Turkey in a lot of respects.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Weren't Catalan and Occitan pretty much the same for a long time?  Barcelona was under loose Frankish control for the early Middle Ages, and I always assumed that most of Catalonia functioned similarly to other marches; a place where entrepreneurial or especially zealous sorts, or second or third sons, went to change their fortunes, fight the infidel, something it would have in common with Turkey.  I think I might be filling in my gaps on Spanish history with Turkish history, though.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Queequeg on January 10, 2014, 01:19:20 AM
Holy Shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alano

Awesome.  It's a Caucasian Shepherd.  I've seen breeds like this on the streets in eastern Turkey. 

Not really. Caucasian Shepherds are 90% hair.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Queequeg

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on January 10, 2014, 02:31:52 PM
Not really. Caucasian Shepherds are 90% hair.

There's variety.  It's a general kind of Pontic proto-Mastiff that might date back to the Scythians.  Also, that hair would be fucking lethal in Spanish heat.  Probably a lot more useful in the extraordinary cold of the high Caucasus.   

Admiral Yi

What do they look like when they're not being jerked off?

Queequeg

This is more what I was thinking of-the Anatolian Shepherd.  You see them on the streets, they're a big genetic influence on the urban dog population of most of the mid to small sized Turkish cities, while Istanbul is a lot more mixed. 

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 10, 2014, 09:29:51 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2014, 10:02:05 PM
If anyone wants to talk about Spartan latrine procedures, I'm game.

DAMN IT PEOPLE SHARE MY INTEREST IN SPARTAN TURDS!

Go cull a helot or something.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on January 10, 2014, 02:30:39 PM
Weren't Catalan and Occitan pretty much the same for a long time?  Barcelona was under loose Frankish control for the early Middle Ages, and I always assumed that most of Catalonia functioned similarly to other marches; a place where entrepreneurial or especially zealous sorts, or second or third sons, went to change their fortunes, fight the infidel, something it would have in common with Turkey.  I think I might be filling in my gaps on Spanish history with Turkish history, though.

It's an open debate. We don't have consistent written testimony from that time and the fact that for long time Occitan remained the prestige language of the Catalan nobility (who had heavy territorial interests in South-Eastern France) further complicates things. It certainly is the closest language to Catalan. One of my professors used to say that "French and Spanish are our cousins, but Occitan is our sister".

Admiral Yi

So you can fuck French and Spanish, but not Occitan.